When you want to start doing woodwork, there are simple tools that you opt not to ignore. They are essential for anybody who is looking forward to having a smooth art of wood. Actually, every small or big art of wood, ranging from pencils to kitchen cabinets need a smooth touch of a good wood planer. Also referred to as thickness planners, they are used to smoothen, straighten lumber, making the lumber shiny as well as creating uniform thickness on wood.
Planers come in two types; electric planner and hand planner. The hand planer is not expensive compared with the electric one though it comes with some challenges. Being manual, one has to exert some extra effort to get the best. Again, it is very tiresome and uncomfortable to use. It is usually used for smaller woodworking projects that don’t require much expertise. This explains why most people prefer electric one despite being a bit expensive. The electric one is very easy to use and at the same time, it handles bigger jobs. Basically, it is the one that is commonly used.
All in all, we have combined a list of best planers on the market to help you choose what is suitable for your usage. Let’s find which one emerged to the top list, their specifications, pros, and cons.
Best Wood Planers 2019
1. Wen 6550 – Best Thickness Wood Planers 2019
- This is categorized in the best thickness planer. Though it is not very thick, it is one of the best in the market.
- It has both out-feed and in-feed table that fold down for easier storage purposes.
- It weighs only 79 pounds.
- It has a two-year warranty.
- It has the very good cutting capability. Actually, it can cut 26 feet within 60 seconds.
- It comes with a cast-iron frame that keeps it from wobbling.
- It has a cast-iron frame that adds more structure to the plane. This is good in reducing the vibration produced by the motor and this helps the tool keep the tool flat on the floor.
- Since it has a height adjustment knob, this enables it to change both the width and height of the wood thus being able to accommodate up to 6 feet thick and up to 12.5 inches in width.
- It has a dust collection port. This is very crucial because there will be no dust clogging on the tool and your vision will not be interfered with when using this too.
- The tool has a depth plane adjustment that allows a person to change the amount of litter you remove from each board. You can change up to 3/32 of an inch.
- With drilled holes on the base, these can act as mounting holes which can help you mount the tool on the floor permanently if you choose too.
- The handles on the side can help reduce any discomfort or fatigue. So it is easier to carry the planer around or move it around without straining.
- It has rubber adjustment handles. These help you to change and adjust the blade.
- It has a hose connection port that allows it to suck all the debris around your working surface.
- The height adjustment knob uses plastic which is known to be cheap. This can break many times making your work hard.
- It does not come with its own stand so you have to budget for one.
2. Dewalt DW680K – High-Performance Thickness Benchtop Planer
- It has high efficiency of the brushless motor
- It has a 12-inch bar
- The battery is powered or cordless
- The battery has 20V 5.0 Ah
- It is lightweight weighing only 8.8lbs
- Performance- its performance is on top-notch. It is suitable for any work site. It handles trees and limbs of around 10 inches which makes it perfect for cutting small trees.
- Due to its lightweight, it fits in most trucks and SUVs making it perfect for an outside job. It is very mobile and can be set at any corner of the working place.
- It has precise cuts. This is made easier by its amp motor and inch rip capacity. Actually, it can cut to a depth of 90 degrees to 45 degrees which is very appropriate.
- Dewalt DW680K is durable. This means it will give you service for a long time without tearing.
- It comes with a year or so warranty. This ensures that once you are not satisfied with its usage within that time you have time to launch a complaint or take in another one.
- Set up process is very easy. In our opinion, it does not require much setup, therefore, it is a tool you can use as soon as you open it. Although, at times it requires a bit of adjustment to suit your preferences. Again, it is easy to store and its power is on top-notch.
- On bigger cuts, blades can duly very fast.
3. Makita KP0810 – Lightweight Thickness Wood Planer
- It is lightweight. Mostly weighs around 5.7 pounds
- It has adjustable planning. So you can remove up to 3/32 inch from the top of the board.
- It comes with a socket wrench and blade set. This ensures the fast-changing of the blades.
Works with any standard electrical system.
- It has a long cord that is placed at the back. This is good since you can use it anywhere in your workshop or rather working place.
- It is made of aluminum.
- It has an ergonomic design. The design is placed at the center thus minimizing fatigue.
- It removes wood very fast. This is because it has a very powerful motor that produces around 17,000 revolutions per minute. This means the work is done very fast.
- It has a spring-loaded stand. This is good because it keeps the tool up thus minimizing any blades damages.
- It has simple blade systems that have a wrench. This makes changing the blades very easy and efficient.
- The user can set the blade speed easily because this tool has a lock-on button. So the operation speed is catered for.
- The cutter head is made of two blades. So it is very efficient to cut the wood by each pass. Again, the cut is cleaner and precise.
- The tool comes with a one year warranty. This covers the motor, blades and other parts.
- For your comfort, the tool has an ergonomic handle. This is used to reduce discomfort and pain when using.
- For smoother cuts, the carbide blades with double edges are also one of the great features. Again, it has a built-in front shoe that creates smoother and more even cuts.
- There are people who feel that all the accessories were not included. One of these is the chip bag.
- So when using the product minus the chip bag there is a lot of shavings that are released hence making it very difficult to work faster.
4. Cutech 40200H-CT – Powerful Thickness Wood Planer
- It weighs around 90lbs.
- Its dust chute has a unique design that makes chip removal easy.
- Cutech 40200H has a very powerful 15-amp motor. This makes it one of the best when it comes to removing wood. It does that very fast.
- It comes with a two-year warranty from the manufacturer. This gives the user ample time to use it without worrying about break-ups and such.
- The tool has an extra-large in and outfeed table.
- While others do not have the snipe lock, this tool has them.
- It comes with an in-built dust port. This makes it easy for the user because all the debris falls in here making cleaning and moving easier.
- When you compare it with the others, the tool is extremely noisy. So in a place where noise is not allowed, it can be difficult to use.
- Again, in comparison with the others, Cutech is a bit expensive, although it is under the $300 budget.
- It is bulky compared to others.
5. Bosch PL2632K – Woodworking Hand Planer with Carrying Case
- It has a spring-loaded stand.
- It has steel blades that are functional.
- The tool has aluminum front and rear shoes.
- It has a lock-off release button.
- The carrying case is also included just like it is stated above.
- The cutter head has two blades.
- It virtually clears the marring of the doors and trim.
- It has a very powerful motor thus making work easier.
- Since it is a strong tool, it can be used with strong steel blades.
- With the lock-off button present, you are sure the tool is very safe to use.
- It has an ergonomic soft-grip handle. This makes it comfortable to use by eliminating fatigue.
- The tool has a high quality guide fence. This mounts well to either side of the tool thus making the cuts to be precise.
- Since the blade is not cordless, it makes it’s changing a bit difficult.
6. Grizzly G0505 12 – Powerful Benchtop Wood Planer
- It weighs 78 LBS.
- The width is about 12- ½ inches.
- It is electric.
- It has an amperage of 15.
- The tool is portable.
- The tool comes with one year warranty.
- It is lightweight thus you can move from one corner of your workshop to another.
- It is very easy to assemble. It comes with a manual to help you on that.
- The tool has a safety lock which is a good feature in curbing accidents in the workshop making it a very suitable tool for even beginners.
- It has simplified features that are very good for extending its life span. So in case of minor repairs, one can be able to fix it.
- The tool comes with a very short cord.
- Since the warrant is only one year, some clients feel that it is too short.
- The blade changing system is considered to be very cumbersome.
7. Dewalt DW734 1- Powerful Portable Benchtop Wood Planer
- It is electric.
- It is light weighing 80LBS.
- It has a width of 12 inches and the depth capacity is 6 inches.
- The maximum depth cut is 1/8 inches.
- The load speed is around 20,000 revolutions per minute.
- Amperage is around 15 AMPS.
- It is a stationary benchtop.
- It has a powerful motor. This enhances its performance.
- Since it is a stationary benchtop tool, it is stable. This makes working with it easy. It mounts well on the surface.
- It comes with three years warranty and also free repair just in case it spoils.
- For ease of change, the tool comes with disposable knives.
- It has a three-knife cutter end thus giving precise cuts.
- Some clients feel that automatic feed breaks out very easily.
- The blades do not last long.
Best Thickness Wood Planers 2019
When you are buying planers, make an informed decision according to your needs. We have reviewed just but a few in the market today. There are many more that perform the same role, but these are the top-rated.