If you are living in any of the metropolitan cities you are bound to have come across at least one person who was riding an elected personal transportation device. There are generally two reactions from people who come across someone riding such electric Vehicles.
The first is more of an exasperation. Seeing grown-ups moving around in their flashy electric vehicles seemed ridiculous to them. After all according to them, this was something very childish and annoying for a grown-up to do. This isn’t anything new. Most new tech innovations are more or less met with similar reactions.
The second type of reaction is more curious. This cone from someone who doesn’t see these as this but rather something that can themselves try. So if you are one of the second types of people than this article is for you. Here we will look at a few of these Electric Personal Transportation.
Best Electric Transportation 2020
- 36V UL 2272 Certified BATTERY pack simple to charge with the provided easy-to-use charger
- 300 W motor reaches speeds up to 14 mph - weight capacity of 220 lbs to ensure safe riding.
- 8. 5 inch tires allow for greater stability.
- Safety Priority : UL 2272 certification ensures Ninebot S meets high standards for fire and electrical safety. The Smart Battery Management System provides reliable battery performance. IP54 waterproof protection ensures operation in various weathers.
- Sturdy & Powerful : Ninebot S is compact, weighting just 28 lbs with a max load of 220 lbs. Thanks to the dual 400W motors, it can easily reach a max speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can run up to 13. 7 miles, climbing a max slope of 15°
- Road Adaptive Design : 10. 5" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. Applicable Age 16 – 50 years. Applicable Height - 3. 11 – 6. 6 Inch.
- Superior Technology: Stable self-balancing technology enables to move effortlessly. The high-power hub motor and spindle-shaped tread design help achieve more flexible steering. With Smart Battery Management System and UL 2272 provide dual protection
- Safe & Comfortable Riding: With uniquely designed ambient and tail lights to keep you safe in the dark. The rubber tires are designed to improve stability, steering capabilities, and combined with slip-resistance on the pads bring maximum comfort and fun.
- Easy to Learn: The Segway Drift W1 e-skates are very easy to pick up and learn. With superior technology, just step on and get going effortlessly in minutes. It's lightweight and convenient to carry in a bag or in your hand to bring anywhere.
- Each Foot Moves Independently, Allowing You The Freedom To Turn And Accelerate In Unusual Ways.
- Learning The Orbitwheel Wave Propulsion Technique Is Enjoyable And Challenging.
- Compact And Easy To Carry, Orbitwheels Are Designed For Ease Of Use On A Variety Of Surfaces.
- FOR KIDS 37 MONTHS & OLDER: This small yet powerful ride-on is perfect for your little racers who want to start driving like the grownups do!
- POWERFUL 12V & REALISTIC DESIGN: Adjustable seatbelt, bright LED headlights, lockable doors, and grid windshield for off-road style, with a 12V motor and traction tires to ride on different terrains
- MANUAL AND PARENT CONTROL: Let your child drive manually or use the remote control to safely guide them yourself; remote has forward/reverse controls
What is an Electric Personal Transportation
Electric personal transportation devices are motorized vehicles that are used for transporting an individual for a short distance. They operate at a speed range of 17-24 km/h and do not normally exceed 25 km/h. Electric personal transportation devices come in different kind of Shapes and Sizes. It is also known by different other names such as also electric rideable, personal light electric vehicle, personal mobility device, etc. Electric Transportations include devices such as electric skateboards, kick scooters, self-balancing unicycles as well as motorized scooters or skateboards. This industry is seeing the continuous development of new methods of riding along with new modified designs for older forms of private transportation that include traditional bikes and skateboards. With their growing popularity, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the legislators have begun the process of determining a standard to classify these devices. They are also looking for ways to regulate and accommodate these devices during a period of rapid innovation. Using these new battery-powered Electric Personal Transportations can save you both time and money which is very precious.
Reasons to try out an Electric Personal Transportation Vehicle
Wherever technology and innovation are present, there is bound to be some improved experience for humans. The same is the case with these Electric Personal Transportations. These are five ways of how these devices make our lives easier.
No Sweat: This is something everyone is familiar with. So you are someone who uses a conventional personal Transportation like a cycle. Sure it helps you in avoiding the traffic and also get some exercise while reaching your workplace. But all this results in you getting sweaty which, let’s be honest, isn’t something everyone likes. The alternate is to use a car. But then there are other problems related to cars and for a shorter commute that doesn’t make sense. Enter Electric Personal Transportation. You get all the same benefits of a personal vehicle but without putting in any extra effort. These are also environment friendly, so that’s a bonus.
Drive Less: This is a viable reason for those who stay near their workplace or in Universities. For them driving a car for such a short distance isn’t economical. This makes it ideal for those people to buy electric transportation and invest the rest of the money in something more essential. Having an electric personal vehicle will enable you to travel 2-3 miles without needing to worrying about recharging the battery. This not only saves you some money but also helps the environment while doing so. Plus you get to have some fresh air as well. So this makes it very prompt to switch to a Personal Electric Vehicle if you fall in the same category.
No Public Transportation: For those not having a car, using public transportation is the only option for them to travel across the city. As convenient as public transportation is, they aren’t always the ideal ones. You would have realized it if you were ever running out of time. Then there’s also the factor of crowds that you might wanna try and avoid. In such scenarios, investing in Electric Personal Transportation, can improve your transportation conditions specially if you are staying in a dense urban area. You could save yourself from the hassles of owning a subway card or even bus fares. You would also no longer have any scheduling conflicts that are generally associated with using public transports.
No Parking Space: If you have owned a Car you would know how much of an inconvenience it is to find a proper and available parking spot. Well, owning an Electric Personal Transportation would mean that you could arrive at any location or area and not be bothered by having to search for parking or fight to get a spot on the street. You can easily avoid that hassle. Be it your college, work, or apartment you don’t have to look much to get a parking spot. This can otherwise be very exhausting and also one of the most frustrating parts of anyone’s day. This is a good enough reason to own an Electric Personal Transportation.
Easy to Own: Owning a car means that one has to take proper care of the car, have a large enough space to park the car and not to forget the maintenance costs. Electric Personal Transportation on the other hand is very easy to won. They don’t take much space and the amount of care they require is very minimal. You don’t have to worry much about repairs or extra replacement parts as they are rated for rough conditions. Finally, owing to its compact size, it is very easy to store it in a closet or any room. This makes it worthy to switch to Electric Personal Transportation.
Now that we know what Electric Personal Transportation is any why it is worth owning one, lets us look at a few of the best Electric Personal Transportations.
Best Electric Personal Transportation
1. Segway Ninebot S
- Max Speed: 10 mph
- Typical Range: 13.7 miles
- Max Payload: 220 lbs
- Max Climbing Slope: 15 degree
- Adjustable Steering Bar: No
- Headlights: Yes
- Aircraft Grade Magnesium Alloy Frame: Yes
- Anti-theft Control: Yes
- Attachable to Ninebot Gokart Kit: Yes
The Segway Ninebot S is a high-performing hoverboard. It is great for routine commuting and also for short-distance transport. It is a self-balancing device, which means that it will remain upright without requiring any external input. This feature is great for beginners. It has a long-lasting battery life and a comfortable platform. It has also got large 10.5″ wheels that have a burley pneumatic tires. This makes it suitable to run on different types of terrain. One thing that could have been improved was the steering column. The problem with it is that it isn’t adjustable and to be able to initiate turns one has to squeeze their legs together. This can be discomforting for tall people as the inner legs are rubbed by the steering column. Let us look at its highlights now.
- Easy to Learn, Safe to Ride: The Segway-Ninebot App has a New Rider Tutorial which provides step-by-step training that can be easily followed by anyone. To maximize the users’ safety, Segway Ninebot S limits the max speed to 4.3 mph as long as New Rider Tutorial isn’t completed. Once the New Rider Tutorial is completed, the max speed is limited to 6.2 mph for the first 0.6 miles. After this you can use the App to disable the speed limiter and reach a maximum speed of 10 mph.
- Lightweight & Portable: The Ninebot S is made up of aircraft-grade magnesium alloy frame which is light but durable. This makes the Ninebot S very compact and lightweight. It weighs only 28 lbs and has a max. the payload of 220 lbs. The Ninebot S also has a knee control bar, which can be used to lift up the Ninebot and store it in a car trunk very easily. To make the Ninebot S fit into small spaces, the knee control bar can also be detached quickly.
- Convert Ninebot S into Gokart Transformer: The Ninebot S can be converted into a Gokart by attaching the Ninebot S’s base to the Ninebot Gokart Kit. This will give you a fully-functional Gokart, that can go as fast as 15mph. Its frame length can also be adjusted very easily. It has three different speed modes and a maximum payload of 220lbs.
- Road-Adaptive Design: The Ninebot S has 10.5” air-filled tires which provide a smoother ride. The Ninebot S also has a powerful 1600 watts engine power that enables get you to go wherever you want.
- Ambient-Light Safety: The Ninebot S has customizable LED taillights. This ensures there is high rear visibility even in low light conditions. It has the following lights: Driving Lamp, Tail Light, Turning Light, and Braking Lamp.
- High Capacity Battery Pack: The Ninebot S is equipped with a high-performance Lithium-Ion battery pack that can ride up to 13.7 miles at a max speed of 10 mph. It also has an advanced intelligent Battery Management System (BMS) which improves battery life.
- Mobile App: With the Ninebot S Mobile App you can easily learn and understand how to safely ride it. The app also lets you customize the rear LED lights, read vehicle diagnostics, adjust the steering sensitivity, adjust speed controls, firmware updates, and much more!
- Large Anti-Skid Pneumatic Tires: The Ninebot S has a 10.5-inch anti-skid vacuum tire rather than a 6-8 inch solid tire. This results in improved stability. It also has a special tire texture design that adds to the anti-skid and shock-absorption performances of the Ninebot S.
- Powerful Motors & Intelligent BMS: The Ninebot S has powerful dual 400W motors. This enables it to easily reach a max. speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can last for 13.7 miles with a max. the slope of 15°. The builtin Smart Battery Management System reports “real-time status of voltage, current, temperature, and usage as well as queries and tracking of the battery’s status and potential faults, which substantially improves ride safety and comfort.”
2. Segway Ninebot Gokart Kit
- Dimensions: 40 x 32 x 18 inches
- Speed: Novice: 5 mp/h ; Standard: 11 mp/h ;Sporty: 15mp/h;
- Range: 13.7 miles (22 km)
- Climbing angle: 15 degrees
- Charging time: 4 hours
- Weight: 32.2 kg (71 lbs)
- Foldable: Yes
- Smartphone app: Andriod and iOS
- Cruise control: No
- Suspension: Front and rear
- Waterproof rating: IPX4 waterproof grade
The Segway Ninebot GoKart Kit is an add-on for the Ninebot S. This is one of the first GoKart kits to be launched. This GoKart kit modifies the existing Ninebot S and increases its maximum speed which is very neat. Users can also have additional freedom because of the adjustable frame length that supports a range of rider heights. It can support up to 100 kg (220 lbs). It is extremely easy to assemble or disassemble. Further it is very convenient and portable to carry. It can easily be collapsed to fit into most cars.
- Easy Assembly: The Segway Ninebot Gokart Kit is very easy to assemble and hardly takes 10 minutes. All you need to do is just strap on and adjust the Ninebot S to match your height and you are good to go.
- Redundant Brake System: The Ninebot Gokart Kit has a double braking system to ensure better safety. There’s also a handbrake you can use for emergency braking in case of an emergency or if there’s a malfunction.
- Two Layered Impact Protection: The Ninebot Gokart Kit has a plastic layered design on its exterior. The purpose of this is to absorb energy during a collision which would effectively reduce the impact force and hence prevent injury. On the inner layer is the main beam made of steel which provides high-strength protection that can prevent it from getting damaged and deformed.
- Redundant Power Application: It has a Wired (main) and Bluetooth wireless (standby) mode for communication between the Gokart controller and the balance scooter. In case of a malfunction in the wired communication, the controller detects it and instantly switch to Bluetooth mode.
- Convenient and Portable: The Gokart Kit has a collapsible design which is very convenient for portability. The Ninebot Gokart Kit can fit in the trunk of most cars. So carrying it anywhere won’t be that much of a hassle.
- Non-inflatable Hollow Tire: The Gokart Kit is equipped with a non-inflatable Hollow Tire. This tire is easy to maintain. Further, its full vertical pattern design and an excellent drainage capacity make it much comforting to ride.
- Reverse Enabled: The Segway Ninebot Gokart has an added ability to go in reverse. This is something regular Go-kart doesn’t have. To navigate the Gokart in the reverse direction, you need to tap the brake pedal twice in quick succession. The Gokart needs to be at a complete stop for that to work. To switch back to forward mode, you just need to tap the brake pedal twice again.
- Designed to Fit Most Riders: The Ninebot Gokart has an adjustable frame and steering wheel. This can be adjusted according to the rider. It can fit riders between 4′ 5″ to 6′ 3″ (130 cm – 190 cm). The Ninebot Gokart also has a maximum payload of 220 pounds (100 kg).
- Experience the Power: The Gokart Kit is equipped with 2 motors that have a maximum power of 800w each. Further it has a 15 mph top speed, and also adjustable steering.
3. EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter
- Speed: Up to 18 mph (29 km/h)
- Run Time: Up to 40 minutes
- Motor: Variable-speed, high-torque, chain-driven
- Throttle: Twist-grip
- Brake: Hand-operated, rear
- Frame: Steel
- Grips: Soft, rubber
- Deck: Bamboo
- Wheels: 16” (406 mm) pneumatic tires
- Kickstand: Retractable
- Seat: Padded
- Storage: Luggage rack and basket
- Battery: 36V (three 12V) sealed lead acid, rechargeable
- Includes: Battery charger
- Max Rider Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
The EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter is an electric scooter with a sleek and modern design. The Metro Electric Scooter is environmentally conscious and can deliver some very high performance. It features a bamboo deck and an almost silent motor. The EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter can achieve speeds of up to 18 mph (29 km/h) and can last up to 40 minutes in a single charge. It has a steel frame with a bamboo deck and has a twist-grip acceleration control along with a comfortable padded seat and a removable luggage rack. It also has a retractable kickstand. It is perfect for small trips to work or the nearest cafe or just move around the block.
- Personalized Fit: The Razor EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter includes a standard replaceable bicycle seat. The height of the seat can be adjusted as desired to get a better and comfortable fit. It has a top speed of 18 mph and can last up to 40 minutes.
- No Gasoline Required: The Razor EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter is a 36v electric scooter which means it doesn’t require any gasoline. This makes it good for the environment and is the perfect choice for an eco-friendly bike.
- Silent motor: The Razor EcoSmart Metro also features a powerful 500W high torque motor. The motor can reach speeds of up to 18 mph. The motor has very minimal noise and is virtually silent. This means that it can reduce noise pollution up to some extent. It leads to emissions-free transportation.
- Laminated Bamboo Deck: It also has a stylish deck which is made from bamboo. Further it has a powder-coated finish, which would ensure that it will be new as the time it was bought. It also has some hip decals which add to aesthetics.
- Luggage Rack: The Razor EcoSmart Metro is equipped with a removable luggage rack along with a basket. This makes it perfect for carrying small things for short trips.
4. Segway Ninebot S-Plus
- Max. Motor Powers: 1600 watts
- Max. Speed: 12.5 mph
- Typical Range: 22 miles
- Max. Payload: 220 lbs
- Max. Climbing Slope: 15 degree
- Adjustable Steering Bar: No
- Headlights: Yes
- Aircraft Grade Magnesium Alloy Frame: Yes
- Anti-theft Control: Yes
- Attachable to Ninebot Gokart Kit: No
- Waterproof: IP54 Splash Proof
As the name suggests, Segway Ninebot S-Plus is an improved variant of the standard Segway Ninebot S model. Compared to the standard one, it has got superior speed, power, battery life, and other features. It has a much-improved range with the difference between the range of both models is 13 km. This is very significant. Among other things, it also has an innovative knee control bar which makes it possible to operate it completely hands-free. The Segway mobile app has speed limiting features and a beginner mode which makes it perfect for kids.
- Aviation Grade Magnesium Alloy Base: The Segway S-PLUS is made from a super lightweight magnesium alloy. This magnesium alloy can support a max of 220lbs.
- 11 Inch Air-Filled Anti-Skid Pneumatic Tires: The Segway S-PLUS consists of 11-Inch air-filled anti-skid pneumatic tires which have been designed for a smoother and more comfortable ride experience. The tires are anti-skid and shock-absorbing. These features improve driving performance.
- Lightweight & Portable: The Segway S-PLUS is made from a super lightweight magnesium alloy which makes it very compact and lightweight. It weighs only 36lbs and has a max. the payload of 220 lbs. It also has a knee control bar which makes it very easy to lift and store in a car trunk. To fit in even smaller spaces, the knee control bar can be easily detached to make it even more compact.
- Easy to Learn, Safe to Ride: Like the Segway-Ninebot S, the Segway-Ninebot S also has a mobile App. Similarly, the app has a New Rider Tutorial which provides step-by-step training that can be easily followed by anyone. To maximize the users’ safety, Segway Ninebot S Plus limits the max speed to 4.3 mph as long as New Rider Tutorial isn’t completed. Once the New Rider Tutorial is completed, the max speed is limited to 6.2 mph for the first 0.6 miles. After this you can use the App to disable the speed limiter and reach a maximum speed of 10 mph.
- Multifunctional Remote Control: The Segway S-PLUS comes with a remote which you can use to control the vehicle. The remote is also equipped with an Intelligent Chip. So you can either control your Segway S-Plus with the joystick on the remote or set it to Follow Mode. This will make the Segway S-PLUS follow you automatically.
- Intelligent Battery Management System: The Segway S-PLUS has a Smart Battery Management System. This intelligent system connects via your smartphone and reminds the users of their battery pack conditions. It reports the real-time status of voltage, current, temperature, and battery usage. It also tracks the battery’s status and looks for potential faults.
- 800W Rated Power Motor: The Segway S-PLUS has powerful dual motors that have an 800W power rating. These powerful dual motors enable the S-Plus to run fast and stable. It has a max speed of 12.5mph and a max cruising distance up to 22 miles after a single full charge. Ride your Segway S-PLUS to enjoy the beautiful scenery. The Segway S-PLUS’s powerful motors also allow it to quickly accelerate and climb smoothly.
- Long Battery Range: The 329 W Li-ion battery of the Segway S-PLUS supplies a 1500W output energy. This provides enough juice for the Segway S-PLUS to run up to a maximum range of 22 miles on a single charge.
- Storage Compartment: The Segway S-PLUS also includes a Storage Compartment. This compartment can be sued to store some stuff that could be useful for you. You can also use it to store and keep your valuables safe.
- Smart Safe Lighting System: Segway S-PLUS has a smart lighting system. It has a customizable LED taillights. This ensures there is high rear visibility even in low light conditions. It has the following lights: Driving Lamp, Tail Light, Turning Light Braking Lamp, and Hub Light.
5. Teamgee H5 Electric Skateboard
- Max. Speed: 20 mph / 32 kph
- Typical Range: 11 miles
- Max. Load: 220 lbs
- Hub Motor: 2*380 W
- Max. Climbing Slope: 20 degree
- Ride Mode: 2 Speed Modes
- Wheels: 90 mm * 54 mm
- Breaks: Yes
- Remote: Seahorse Remote
- Charging Time: 2 hours
- Waterproof: IP54 Splash Proof
Teamgee H5 is one of the first electric skateboards with a drop-through deck. Compared to most other electric skateboards, the H5 has a deck that is 15-20mm lower to the ground. This makes it a bit more stable and results in confident and comfortable riding experience. It has a concave deck which makes turning effortless and the soft bushing on it makes the board very agile while making sharp turns. It can withstand serious damage and wear. The only thing you might need to replace would be just the tires. It also comes with a remote controller which makes it easier to control.
- Durable High-Speed Motor: Teamgee H5 has a 760W dual-motor equipment. This enables it to quickly reach a speed of 22MPH in the fast mode. The high-speed rotation of the motor makes the board swift and stable and also gives a better riding experience.
- Hidden Battery: Teamgee H5 enables you to hide the battery inside the board. This makes the visible boar thinner and giving it a more traditional look, just like normal Skateboard. However, it is very different from traditional Skateboards and runs on electricity.
- Strong grip PU wheel: The wheels on the H5 are 90MM PU wheels which distribute the gravity to improve stability while riding. These wheels also provide excellent grip performance. This extra grip can be very useful and will provide some added security while riding in some challenging and difficult conditions.
- Ergonomic Remote with digital display: Direction The Teamgee H5 includes an ergonomic remote which also features a digital display with a very intuitive design. Along with allowing you to control your board it also keeps you informed about the speed, battery, and direction of the board. The remote also has a LED flashlight that can help you see in the dark if required. This headlight design of the remote control allows you to safely drive the board at night, without any qualms.
Picking Your Next Personal Transportation Vehicle!
Electric personal Transportations are much more than toys and have a practical use for adults as well. They are compact and are easy to carry even in car trunks. Further, they don’t require much space to store and are very easy to own and maintain as compared to cars. They are perfect for a small distance, be it to your shirt commute or your nearest coffee shop. They come in different shapes and sizes. Depending on what suits you best and matches your use cases, you should choose one vehicle. We looked at 5 such devices which all have their strengths. However like every other thing, they also have some cons. But the pros outweigh the cons. Any of these devices would more than fulfill your purpose without much hassle. We hope this article helped you market a more informed decision. Let us know which are your favorite Electric Personal transportation devices and whether we missed any.
Last update on 2020-10-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API