I always say that I’m not an amazing photographer, I just travel to beautiful places around the world. However, every day I get questions about my travel gear along with my photography equipment. That’s why I decided to write an in-depth post on the best travel camera 2020.
A lot of the gear and the travel camera you pick will depend on what you want to plan on doing with your travel photos. A professional photographer selling his pictures will definitely pay more attention to the quality of his pictures and thereby their travel camera compared to a person taking pictures to share with their Instagram followers.
Best Travel Camera 2020
1. Canon PowerShot – Budget Compact Camera For Travel 2020
With a 20.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor, 40x Optical Zoom, 3.0-inch LCD Screen, and capability to record in 4K this is a great camera for its price!
With a 4.4 star rating on Amazon, the Canon Powershot SX720 is a great basic point and shoot which is great for landscape and travel shots.
2. Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II – Best Compact Camera For Travel 2020
The previous edition of this camera, the G9 X was a favorite and Canon has improved on it in the G9 X Mark II with the upgraded DIGIC 7 Image Processor and built-in WiFi and Bluetooth which is absolutely amazing for transferring pictures while on the go.
Basic features include 1 inch, 20.1 Megapixel1 CMOS sensor, built-in WiFi and Bluetooth and 3-inch touch display.
3. Sony RX100M III – Best Advanced Compact Travel Camera 2020
With over 400 reviews on Amazon, Sony has really come a long way in terms of their camera technology from the Cybershot of my childhood. From a viewfinder to a tintable screen, the Sony RX100M is a great camera for travel.
Basic features include a 20.9 megapixels sensor, 24-70mm equivalent F/1.8-2.8 lens, continuous shooting up to 10 FPS, ISO 160-12800.
4. Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II – Best Camera For Travel Blogging
An insanely popular camera among travel bloggers, the Canon G series is a great lineup used by some of the top travel bloggers in the world. The New G7 X might just be the best portable camera out there.
Basic features include a high-performance 1.0-inch 20.1 Megapixel* CMOS sensor as well as a bright f/1.8–2.8 lens.
This is recommendation for the travel blogging and beginner travel photographers. This camera gives you the manual control needed to give you that extra edge, they’re a little pricey but still cheaper than normal DSLRs or Mirrorless Cameras.
5. GoPro Hero 7 Silver – Cheap Action Camera For Travel
The GoPro Hero 7 Silver is a cheap action camera if you’re tight on your budget and don’t want to invest in the most expensive GoPro camera.
GoPro is still the king of this industry as it’s great for video recording and is waterproof so it’s great for underwater shots for the more adventurous parts of your travel.
Stunning 4K video and 12MP photos, Voice Control, 2-inch Touch Display are just the beginning of what the GoPro Hero has to offer.
6. GoPro Hero 7 Black – Best Action Camera For Travel 2020
GoPro just released the new GoPro Hero 7 a few months ago with a whole bunch of new amazing features! With 4K 60fps and 1080p 240fps video, the new HERO 7 Black delivers 2x the performance compared to the HERO6 Black.
7. Nikon D3500 – Best DSLR for Beginner Travel Photographers
With over 800 reviews on Amazon, the Nikon D3500 is a great camera for the budding photographers and it’s price of less than 500$ for a kit lens makes it’s a great budget buy for your first DSLR.
I would recommend DSLRs only to professional photographers as most travelers don’t want to be carrying around a bulky camera like this as well as having to worry about keeping it safe at all times.
8. Canon EOS Rebel T7i – Best Professional DSLR Camera For Travel 2020
A little more expensive than the previous recommendations, however, the Canon EOS Rebel T7i is the most powerful professional camera for travel. It comes with Wifi and NFC, 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and a 19-point all cross-type AF system.
9. Fujifilm X-T3 – Portable Mirrorless Camera For Travel
This the only recommendation from Fujifilm and this is the newest in the Fujifilm X series. I have to say that this is only focused on experiences photographers.
10. Sony Alpha a6400 – Best Mirrorless Camera For Travel in 2020
I had to included this as it has the world’s fastest autofocus and world’s most AF points since the writing of this article!
With a 24.2 MP APS-C Exmor CMOS sensor w/ accelerated readout, Up to 11fps continuous shooting w/Auto Focus and Exposure and Internal UHD 4K30 & 1080p120 Recording makes the Alpha a6400 a great purchase.
11. Apple iPhone XR Unlocked – Best SmartPhone Camera For Travel 2020
It’s incredible to see how far cameras on phones have come. So many people are best off using their phone for pictures and the iPhone has to be the first on this list.
The back of the iPhone XR has an optically stabilized 12-megapixel cameras, one with a f/1.8 wide angle lens and the other with a f/2.4 telephoto. The second camera is used to provide zoom without sacrificing quality.
12. Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus – Best Android SmartPhone Camera For Travel
For you Andriod users (like me) in the house, I’d recommend the Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus with it’s powerful rear cameras with Optical Image Stabilization both lenses. Perfect for shooting in the dark or from a distance.
You can even switch it to Pro Mode for all the options you’d expect from a normal DSLR.
Some salient features which we found very interesting are as follows-
- A brilliant low light photography with the dual aperture that lets more light inside.
- The infinity display offers you an excellent immersive experience while viewing your photos or videos.
- Water-resistance features should make it a great choice for you to enjoy your holidays with abandon — astonishing and clear sound performance.
Best Travel Camera 2020: Factors To Consider When Picking a Travel Camera in 2020
There are some basic factors to consider before buying a camera especially when it comes to picking a camera for travel. Here are the factors I consider when making my purchases or recommendations for the cameras below.
- Size and Portability: Unless you are a professional photographer you don’t really want to be carrying around a huge DSLR and a travel backpack full of lenses now, do you? You are going to want a camera that’s light as you’ll be carrying it around a lot. Airline Carry on Luggage rules also plays a role here as you wouldn’t want to have to check-in your camera only to have it returned with everything shattered.
- Battery Life and Spare Batteries: Being a travel photographer means that you won’t always have a charging port next to you at all times. A portable power bank can extend your battery life, but nothing is worse than waiting for the perfect shot only to find that your battery is dead when it’s time to take the picture.
- Reviews: I always read reviews from past users and from professional photographers before I pick any gear. I wouldn’t know what people in the past did, but now we have Amazon reviews and we can read what people who used it in the past have to say about it. I personally recommend reading the good and bad reviews which deciding on a purchase, also sometimes the 3-star reviews tend to good when it comes to giving you an overview.
- Specifications: There are several types of cameras available (Point and Shoot, Advanced Compact Cameras, DSLR, Mirrorless) and each one has its own list of benefits and cons. I have pointed out the pros and cons of each type below.
I hope this article on the best travel cameras was useful in your decision in picking a good camera to travel with on your next journey! For most people, a good cell phone along with an action camera like a GoPro might be enough while someone else might need more professional gears made up of a lot of different lenses.
Traveling the world has its wonders and having a good travel camera making capturing the moment to enjoy later even easier!
Last update on 2020-05-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API