Canon has been in the camera industry since the early ’80s and since then has been a pioneer in the industry. They have launched multiple camera models and have given wings to dreams of so many budding photographers. Their DSLR line up began only in the year 2000, and since then, all DSLR cameras have ruled the market.
Canon, over the years, has developed DSLR cameras with unique features. These features are exceptional, and you can click amazing pictures with it. Quite recently, with features like EIS and more, users can get a seamless video shooting and high-quality images without compromising on any aspect.
Their pricing, too, is varied, and you can find a DSLR camera for every budget and beginners & professionals. So today, we will create a guide with 15 DSLR cameras by Canon! Some might surprise you, and some might shock you! But you are surely in for a treat. Check out their features, pros, and cons before deciding to buy it.
Canon DSLR Lineup 2020
1. Canon EOS Rebel T6 – Easy To Use Starter Canon DSLR Camera
Reason to buy – We will begin our list with the first entry i.e., “EOS Rebel T6”. This camera is an “easy to use” simple camera that is fit for beginners and even for professionals. The features are high end, and you will get an outstanding image quality that suits your needs.
It has a 9 point AF system that has one center cross-type AF point that’s considered to be amazing in this industry. Apart from that, it is equipped with one of the best high-performance optical viewfinders that help the user in easy focusing. Finally, It also has the ISO 100 6400 that will allow shooting in all types of lighting conditions. We can go on and on about this, or at best give you 3 principal reasons why you must buy this camera:
- It provides a higher resolution for all your images, and that’s a plus point.
- The low light performance of the Rebel T6 is astounding.
- The autofocus teamed up with the most convenient easy to use the module is fantastic.
• The 18.0-Megapixel CMOS image sensor is worth every ounce of your money, and hence you can easily expect the best resolution for your images.
• They have a built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity that makes this advanced camera the best for this generation.
• The DIGIC 4+ Image processor means business, and hence you can expect high-end performance always!
• Unfortunately, there is no touch screen feature in the Rebel T6.
• The setup for Wi-Fi is not simple for all users.
2. Canon EOS 80D – Most Versatile Canon DSLR Camera
Reason to buy – Our second entry is the Canon EOS 80D. This is considered as one of the most versatile camera options. The 80D is a famous model and comes with a “24.2 megapixels”CMOS Image sensor that will provide you with high-quality images. The 80D also has a pentaprism viewfinder teamed up with a Canon EF-S lens mount that makes capturing moments a fantastic experience.
There is so much we can tell you about this, but we will bring it down to a few reasons why you must buy this:
• It is considered as an all-rounder with terms of the features it offers.
• It gives an amazing video resolution that shoots high-quality videos.
• This camera is perfect for people that wish to make this a profession.
• The touch screen provides more convenience and makes this camera easy to use.
• It has a variety of customizable options as per the user’s convenience.
• Ideal for capturing videos for any sport or action.
• The single point focus might not be adjustable for beginners.
• Full HD videos cannot be shot in 4K quality.
3. Canon EOS SL2 – Entry Level Canon EOS DSLR
Reason to buy – The EOS SL2 has an entry-level price range when discussing DSLR. But don’t think that they compromise on quality. This camera can do a lot of things for the user at a budgeted cost. It is readily available in two different styles and three configurations. This camera also sports a 24.2 megapixel CMOS sensor that will help any user who wishes to become a better photographer.
Apart from most of the high-end features, the SL2 also sports a Dual Pixel AF that will come along with outstanding phase detection. The experience through SL2 is fantastic and worth it. But to make it easier for you in understanding, we will give you good reasons why you must buy this canon model.
• It has an outstanding autofocus system and can take continuous RAW photos in burst mode!
• This model has Bluetooth through which you can share and transfer all images from the camera to your smartphone and laptop.
• Apart from all these features, you can also pull out GPS data from the connected device that takes functionality to a new level!
• It sports an efficient auto-focus with accurate results.
• It also sports a built-in Wi-Fi and NFC along with Bluetooth that makes this camera the best option to share and transfer images.
• The image quality is so crisp and high that it makes this camera an all-rounder.
• The camera doesn’t support a headphone jack that could have helped during recording videos.
• The small buffer speed is slower than most of the models in this list.
4. Canon EOS Rebel T6i – Canon DSLR For SLR Virgins
Reason to buy – The Rebel T6i from Canon is what you need when you wish to enhance your photography experience. It has a wide range of features like built-in Wi-Fi along with NFC. You can capture and watch all videos in high-definition with full HD movie mode.
Exceptional features of the Rebel T6i are as follows:
• The T6i can capture all action with 5fps high-speed continuous shot to give you a seamless experience.
• You can capture movies with full HD mode in MP4 format for outstanding results
• The T6i also sports a 24.2 megapixel CMOS sensor that shoots images and gives you incredible image quality.
• It has a 3:2 aspect ratio and 19-point all cross-type Auto Focus system that will give you an experience like no other.
• Their Vari-Angle Touch screen Clear View II, LCD monitor, will give you better angles of your shots, and it’s a huge plus point.
• It is easy to use and is highly commendable for its performance.
• It often freezes, and you might have to restart it to shoot images and videos.
• Slow-motion videos come crisply only in 720p and not in 1080p.
5. Canon EOS Rebel T5i
Reason to buy – The Rebel T5i has been well known in the market purely because of its simple and easy to use kind of settings. With the way this has been created any first time, the user will find it easy to use a DSLR camera at their first attempt. Here are some of its incredible features that will help you make the decision to buy:
• With the T5i, you can now capture amazing pictures using their 18 megapixels APS-C CMOS sensor.
• While using their movie servo AF, you can take video shooting to new heights and capture every second of the action
• The T5i also has an all-cross type 9 point AF system that’s better than most of the models in this list.
• The LCD screen has approximately 1,040,000 dots that allow you to get a better view of your captured shots.
• As for video shooting, you can shoot 1080p quality videos with 30, 25, or 24 fps. You can also shoot 720p quality videos with 60 or 50 fps.
• Rebel T5i is also known for its impressive picture quality and even for ease of use.
• Recording time for videos has been limited to a maximum of 30 minutes.
• The autofocus feature is better in most models mentioned in this list.
6. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV – Best Autofocus
Here are a few reasons why you must purchase the 5D Mark IV:
• With the 5D Mark IV, you will experience a whole new level of autofocus. This is becauseit has a 61 point AF system that’s one of the best from this list.
• All types of users that use this camera can choose between 3 different styles and eight varied configurations.
• Expect the best image quality with their 30.4 megapixels full-frame CMOS sensor.
• 5D Mark IV offers a seven fps continuous speed shooting to capture live-action videos for you.
• This canon model has a touch screen LCD monitor. This LCD monitor makes sure you can easily handle all your camera functions and view images with ease.
• This Canon mark model also has a DIGIC 6+ image processor, that will make you experience quality and speed at a high level.
• One significant con here is that the Mark IV doesn’t come with a built-in flash for low-light photography.
• There is no tilt screen option given for convenience!
7. Canon EOS Rebel T7i
Reason to buy – The EOS Rebel T7i is worth the hype. Read below to know more.
• When you use this camera, you get to choose from 5 different styles to ensure you get the style that you need.
• You can get a Colour Filter System equipped along that has been designed purely so you can get the best images.
• With the Rebel T7i, you can experience high-quality continuous shots at 60 fps for amazing picture results.
• The best part about the T7i is that it has built-in Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth. This allowsfor easier connectivity and sharing with all your devices.
• It also has a 4.2-megapixel CMOS sensor that ensures you capture pictures with crisp quality.
• With their RGB primary color filters, please be rest assured that your image quality will turn out to be of great quality.
• The microphone of T7i might produce random static sometime.
• The T7i is not always and fully compatible with multimedia cards.
8. Canon EOS 6D Mark II
Reason to buy – Let’s bring a power-packed performer with a compact body in the form of the 6 Mark II. Here are some of its features:
• It is perfectly compatible with most of the Canon EF lenses available in the market.
• The 6D Mark II comes with a 26.2-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor that shoots amazing images.
• This camera also comes with a choice between 4 styles and seven varied configurations.
• 6D Mark II has a compact body that makes it easier to travel with it.
• It also has a DIGIC 7 image processor that provides faster functioning.
• The camera also comes along with a standard power supply.
• Unfortunately, it is very expensive as compared to other Canon models
• There is no 4K quality available for shooting high-quality videos
• Maybe sharpness of images will be compromised while using the zoom feature
9. Canon EOS 77D
Reason to buy – The EOS 77D has tons of features that make this a beast of a camera. Here are some of its features:
• It has an SDXC flash memory that makes using the camera convenient than ever.
• The camera also has a 24.2 megapixel CMOS APS-C sensor that provides the best image quality.
• When you wish to buy this camera, you can choose between 3 different given styles and four varied configurations.
• The 77D can record videos in high definition using HDR video mode.
• You can also use the time-lapse feature to create unique and outstanding videos.
• They also have a built-in Wi-Fi and NFC that can help you share images on your devices.
• The sharpness of the lens becomes difficult to manage always.
• The 77D does not provide great battery life, because it runs out faster than other models.
10. Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Reason to buy – Let us now talk about a legendary camera that will be part of this list. It has an excellent design and also performs like a beast. We will give you multiple reasons why this camera is exactly what you need.
• With the X Mark II, users can choose their pick between 5 different configurations. Yes, five different choices!
• X Mark II is capable of achieving a maximum burst rate of 170 RAWs at 16 fps
• It also features as the fastest shooting unit and is capable of shooting up to 14 fps
• The X Mark II features an improved center-point focusing sensitivity that will help your camera performance.
• With this camera, you can experience high-quality videos with 4k quality up to 60 fps. Isn’t that great?
• They also have EOS intelligent tracking and recognition AF that provides accurate subject tracking.
• The Mark II might take more time for a user to get used to all its features. The new user might also take extra time to understand the proper way of using the camera.
• It’s a high maintenance camera, and there’s a possibility that it may not be as durable as you’re expecting it to be.
11. Canon EOS Rebel T6s
Reason to buy – Let’s bring some sophistication to our list, shall we? The Rebel series is one of the best series by Canon. You will see quite a few models in this list that belong to this series. Here are some of its features that might increase your interest in this camera:
• It has the right balance between features, ease of use, and design!
• The Rebel T6s has a 24.2 megapixel CMOS sensor so you can rest assured of high image quality.
• Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC ensure that this camera is more tech-savvy, and you can share your images on the go!
• The Rebel T6s has a 19-point all-cross type Auto Focus system that brings the best quality in your palms.
• It also has a 5.0 fps high-speed continuous shot that will help you in capturing each moment throughout the action.
• The DSLR comes with options where you might have to choose between two styles and two configurations.
• Battery life has always been an issue for this model.
• The auto-tracking feature might cause an issue in focus when compared to other models
12. Canon EOS 5DS R
Reason to buy – Canon, over the years, kept improving with each DSLR that they launched. The EOS 5DS R was one such model that was all about the details. Here are some of its features that will make you understand how smart this camera is:
• The camera is sharp & each image has the best details you can find in its budget.
• The 5DS R has a 50.6 megapixel CMOS sensor; that’s one of the best as you compare models from this list.
• This DSLR also has a full-frame functioning that lets the user experience ultra-high resolution images for you.
• With this DSLR, you get 13 months of free damage protection from Canon.
• It also sports a 150,000 pixel RGB + IR metering sensor that lets the user experience the best scene detection ever.
• You will also get to witness the best sharpness in images and detailing of the highest quality.
• Again, high performance leads to average battery life.
• The features and usage are more fit towards professionals and not for others.
13. Canon EOS 7D Mark II – Best Canon Camera 2020
Reason to buy – Also touted as one of the best cameras for the creative crowd, the 7D Mark II is the best camera. Anyone that wishes to begin their professional career in photography should choose this. There are tons of features to support this statement. Here are some of them:
• The 7D Mark II is rugged, has an ergonomic design, and has been created for convenient use and handling.
• The Dual DIGIC 6 image processor will help you always in giving the best performance the camera has to offer.
• You can also capture high-speed continuous shots up to 10 fps. That’s amazing.
• Canon’s 7D Mark II sports a dual-pixel CMOS AF that allows you to shoot videos just like a camcorder. Isn’t that great?
• The 7D Mark II also has a 65-point all-cross type Auto Focus system that will provide images of the highest quality along with accurate focus.
• This DSLR also gives us outstanding full HD videos. These will automatically come with custom movie servo AF that is meant for speed and sensitivity.
• This camera has a Battery life that is average and could have been better.
• The 7D Mark II may experience trouble when users try to focus on images.
14. Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Reason to buy – This is our best-budgeted option on this list. Canon is not just a brand that will provide cameras with high-end features. They do understand that passion needs to be nurtured. Hence they launched this entry-level camera that suits each beginner with a passion for photography. Here are some of its features:
• This DSLR camera is entry-level and is suitable for anyone and everyone.
• You can take the best shots with amazing quality through their 18.0-megapixel CMOS sensor.
• This camera also sports a DIGIC 5 image processor. This ensures your camera is full of speed and gives you the best performance each time you use it.
• The Rebel SL1 sports a 9-point AF system with the cross-type center. Using this, you can experience the best that is possible with auto-focusing.
• You can enjoy watching the best photos that you click with their 3-inch touch panel LCD screen.
• You can also experience the movie Servo AF that provides continuous focus tracking for all moving subjects.
• Comparatively smaller than other standard units
• May not be capable of performing well under low-light conditions
15. Canon T3i
Reason to buy – What happens when you add a budgeted camera with limited features and the best performance money can buy? You get Canon T3i! Yes, we aren’t joking as you get the best of the best at a reasonable cost. We will share some of its features that will bring out the creative side within you!
- You can experience continuous shooting with 3.7 frames per second, so enjoy capturing moments with the T3i.
- This DSLR also has an ISO range of 100-6400, which can be expandable to 12800 in order to get better functioning.
- You can also get a 9-point Auto Focus system so you can always capture the right imageswithout any issue of blurring.
- The camera sports an 18 megapixels APS-C CMOS sensor that provides crisp quality images only.
- The 9-point Auto Focus system might look average when compared to other models in this list, but it does a fabulous job always!
- When you opt for this camera, you can choose between 3 different styles available.
- Maybe Canon could have worked on this camera’s battery life that is very average only.
- The shutter mechanism sometimes gets stuck!
Canon DSLR Lineup Buyer’s Guide
A Canon DSLR has always been one of the best choices when it comes to choosing a camera. This statement is applicable, whether it’s for first time users or professional photographers.Because Canon has been present in the market for 40 years and above, they have evolved with time and evolved their offerings as well.
We have noticed multiple models that might belong to the same series but still will house different features. Hence Canon models are always hyped up as they can do something better for you with each of their models. Not only is their camera good, but they also have tons of accessories. These can help a photographer grow with time and increase their image clicking quality.
Should you purchase a Canon DSLR? Or why should you not?
YES – If you’re a first time user or a professional photographer looking to buy a camera, then Canon is the brand you must select. This is because you can trust on their DSLR experience that spans across 20 years. Also, they have a DSLR for almost every kind of photography, whether its close shots, portrait shots, video shooting, all-rounder, etc.
NO – Now, here is the tricky part. A camera is not something you buy just for the sake of it. You either get it as a hobby or as a profession. If you’re just looking to capture images for daily use or for travel, then use a smartphone instead. We say this because a smartphone is more convenient and doesn’t eat up any extra space too!
Which Canon DSLR should I get?
We have ensured that we give you an unbiased review of 15 DSLR cameras with their pros and cons. Using this data, you can read, research yourself, and shortlist cameras that suit your needs and requirements. We might have made your job difficult with multiple options, but we couldn’t help it. Canon overall has such beautiful models that we were forced to mention them here.
How To choose a Canon DSLR Camera
We have listed detailed reviews for you to check. But if you really wish to know how we choose a camera, then here are three ways we do it:
- Features: We try to understand what kind of camera we are looking for. If we wish to have a camera that’s perfect for its image quality, then we will check as per that. If we wish to have a camera that has amazing video quality, then we will check as per that. Finally, if we wish to have both, then we will filter accordingly.
- Pricing – Next, we will check the pricing as everyone has a budget, and hence we must stick to it. Filtering as per price will reduce your shortlist, and you can now see their features accordingly as per your needs.
- Durability – A camera must be durable, compact, and provide high performance. Yes, we know we demand a lot, but that’s our requirement. If you wish to find a budget camera that’s durable, then that can be a good choice.
Best Canon DSLR in 2020
If you want our honest opinion, each of these 15 DSLR models is amazing and has unique features of their own. We earnestly wish that you make your final choice purely based on all features that each DSLR provides. You can also check their costing in order to fit your budget.
We are hopeful that after you read this insightful article, you surely can make a decision to choose the best DSLR. But remember that apart from these 15 options, there are more options than you can find online or offline.
Last update on 2020-08-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API