If you are into astrophotography, the quality of the lens would be one of the most important options you need to give a thought to. You need to give enough thought to a few definite parameters before you can decide to go with a particular set of lenses for your astrophotography hobby. However, if you are someone who is not well versed enough with the technique and technology thereof, hopefully, our list of the best lenses for astrophotography can be helpful enough in arriving at the right kind of decision.
Best Lenses For Astrophotography
You can either go with the prime options or opt for other alternatives. The major requirements for a perfect lens for are the wide-angle performance and a wider maximum aperture. You should ideally go with a lens with an aperture f/2.8 or wider.
From that perspective, here are a few lenses that would be helpful enough.
1. Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly Lens for Canon – Buy Now
A perfect combination of Swiss design and Korean precision for the best in astrophotography. The lens comes with the highest ever quality, superior functionality, and minimalistic design. The ultra wide angle lens works with the Canon EF mount as well.
Some salient features that we liked in this lens are-
- The Neutrino coating offers you protection against ghosting, flare, and chromatic aberrations.
- The focus lock feature helps you lock the setting at any preferred time
- Hyperfocal distance scale would be helpful in getting the perfect depth of field.
- The lens offers you an ergonomically placed focus ring for an enhanced focusing.
- The nine-blade diaphragm provides an excellent bokeh effect.
Check out the lens at this link on Amazon.
2. Sigma 20mm F1.4 Art DG HSM Lens for Nikon – Buy Now
Bright, wide and sharp – that is exactly what we will term the lens as. The wide angle lens should work with both full frame cameras and APS-C sensors. It offers you ultimate image quality.
What makes it an excellent option for astrophotography? Here are our reasons –
- Superb edge to edge performance that for enhanced performance.
- It comes with advanced optics, and optimized lens power provides you access to reduced chromatic aberration and curvature.
- The lens is best suited for high-speed performance.
- It offers you an enhanced option for brightness and bokeh.
If those features impress you enough, why not check it out here on Amazon?
3. Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens – Buy Now
If you are looking for a budget astrophotography lens, this is exactly what you can go for. It is an affordable option for your needs while offering you the best of the features. The stronger build coupled with excellent image quality can make it best bet for enhanced astrophotography.
Some major features of this lens are –
- Ultra wide angle lens with the constant aperture.
- It offers you a multi-layer coating to reduce flare and aberration
- There is no aperture control and autofocus functionality, but the lens works excellently.
- The lens works efficiently with both full frame cameras and APS-C sensors.
Sounds interesting enough? You can get more information on Amazon.
4. Sigma 35mm F1.4 ART DG HSM Lens for Canon – Buy Now
The wide angle lens from Sigma undoubtedly makes it one of the best choices for your astrophotography assignments and projects. The quicker and accurate autofocus will work to enhance your performance to the core.
What makes it ideal inclusion in this list? These reasons may suffice your queries –
- You have access to a wide aperture and wide angle.
- The shallow depth of field offers you a softer bokeh blur effects.
- The affordable option makes it a great choice for budget-oriented photographers.
- The Hypersonic motor offers you an excellent focusing effect.
- The lens is not weather sealed, and you may need to be careful enough.
Do those features impress you enough? You can get the lens from Amazon through this link.
5. Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2 – Buy Now
Rokinon is one of the huge names in the field of camera lenses. It is one of the best options when it comes to affordable pricing coupled with high-quality performance. If you are looking for the best astrophotography lenses for your cameras, the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2 should be an exceptional choice.
A few features that make the lens worthy of being on this list would be
- It offers you exceptional quality of sharpness at maximum aperture.
- You will have access to both super wide angle performance and a great level of sharpness
- The lens comes with a superior build quality
- The lack of autofocus may disturb some of you, but you have access to other great functionalities that suit perfect astrophotography.
- The lens is specifically designed for the APS-C sensors.
Want to know more about the lens and its features? You can check it out on Amazon.
6. Canon EF-M 22mm f2 STM Compact System Fixed Lens – Buy Now
This is yet another ultra-compact lens that offers you lightweight design at an affordable cost. The lens is suitable for multiple functionalities and purposes. Of course, the chromatic aberration reduction is not up to the mark.
Some of the best features of this lens are –
- You have access to high image quality with the bright and cultural aperture.
- The lens is lightweight and most portable option for your needs
- You come up with low light and provides you with excellent bokeh effects.
- The screw type stepping motor provides you access to smoother and silent operation while focusing
How about checking it out here on Amazon?
7. Rokinon 35mm F1.2 High-Speed Wide Angle Lens – Buy Now
Samyang is known for making the best quality prime lenses. Budget offering coupled with the versatility is what would make it an excellent choice for most of your requirements. One of the features that will make it an exceptional choice is the complete lack of chromatic aberration.
Why was this lens added to this compilation of the best lenses for astrophotography lenses? Here are our reasons –
- The internal focus is one of the best features that will make it a great choice
- Low light photography and videography are the excellent features that make it a great option for astrophotography.
- The lightweight and compact design should make it a great option for portability.
- The wide-angle lens brings more of the scene into your viewfinder without any sort of distortion.
If you want to buy the lens, you can check it out on Amazon.
8. Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART DG HSM Lens for Nikon – Buy Now
The 50 mm lenses have been the hot favorite for the photographers out there. The lenses have been found to be versatile and suitable for landscapes, portraits, street photography and of course, astrophotography.
Few features of this lens that will enhance the value of your astrophotography are-
- Versatility and high-quality performance are the two major features that make it a great choice.
- The sturdy build should be what makes it a great choice for durability.
- You can be assured of an incredible focal point sharpness when it is wide open.
- The hypersonic motor provides a great deal of quieter and smoother operation.
- Super multi-layer coating takes care of the chromatic aberration.
You can get more information about the lens at this link on Amazon.
9. Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 lens – Buy Now
This is an excellent lens for your requirements in astrophotography – thanks to wide-angle aperture and sharper images that it can produce. Designed for full frame cameras, the lens is available both for the Canon and Nikon mounts.
So, why should you go for it? We assume these reasons will suffice-
- You have a wide angle lens with a fixed aperture of f/2.8
- It produces the sharper images even low light, and thus the lens is an excellent option for astrophotography.
- The wide angle lens is an excellent choice for the great images at night.
- This lens offers you great optics, lower levels of chromatic aberration.
- The image stabilization ensures that you can get crystal clear images at night.
If those features impress you enough, you can check out the lens on Amazon.
10. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED – Buy Now
The ultra wide angle lens should be a great option for almost all your needs in astrophotography. It also comes with nano coating for reduction of the chromatic aberration and flare. Dust and moisture resistance are a few features that make is a great option for most of your requirements astrophotography and wide-angle lens photography.
What makes it a good option in this compilation? Here are our reasons –
- The lens is fully optimized for FX and DX-format mounts.
- The faster and ultra wide-angle zoom provides you a perfect edge to edge sharpness without distortions.
- The silent wave motor can be the best meant for smoother and quiet autofocus — enhanced optical formulas an exceptional sharpness, contrast, and color.
- The internal focus should offer you a better autofocus functionality.
If you are interested, you can check it out at this link on Amazon.
Best Astrophotography Lenses Comparison Table
|Features||Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly Lens for Canon||Sigma 20mm F1.4 Art DG HSM Lens for Nikon||Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens||Sigma 35mm F1.4 ART DG HSM Lens for Canon||Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2|
|Mount||Nikon F, Canon EF, Pentax K||Nikon F, Sigma SA, Canon EF, Sony E||Canon EF||Canon EF||Canon EF-M, Fujifilm X, Samsung NX, Sony E, and Micro Four Thirds|
|Minimum focus distance||0.28 m||0.20 m||0.14 m||0.35 m||0.12 m|
|Diaphragm||Nine blade||—||Six blade||—||Six blade|
|Filter size||30 mm||—||—||67 mm||67 mm|
|Weight||598 grams||952 grams||553 grams||666 grams||272 grams|
|Features||Canon EF-M 22mm f2 STM Compact System Fixed Lens||Rokinon 35mm F1.2 High-Speed Wide Angle Lens||Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART DG HSM Lens for Nikon||Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8||Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|
|Mount||Canon EF-M||Canon E-FM||Nikon F (FX)||Canon EF and Nikon (sold separately)||FX and DX|
|Minimum focus distance||0.22 m||0.38 m||0.5 m||0.15 m||0.14 m|
|Diaphragm||Seven blade||Nine blade||—||—||—|
|Filter size||43 mm||62 mm||77 mm||—||—|
|Weight||104 grams||421 grams||815 grams||1012 grams||970 grams|
Thoughts on The Best Lens for Astrophotography 2019
Well, that was a formidable list of the best lenses you can use for astrophotography. Having a look at the vast expanse of the sky, you will definitely look ahead to shoot the beauty of the sky with your camera. But, in addition to an excellent and capable camera, you also need to check out the best lenses that support a wide range of shooting modes.
Have you used any of the lenses featured here for your astrophotography needs? If you have, we will welcome you to share your thoughts and experiences with us.