Recorded videos serve as a snapshot of memory. It is a common practice to record memorable events. While the tools and medium have changed over the millennium, the instincts have remained the same. In this era of recording videos, Vlogging camera with flip screen acts as an efficient tool.
The era of YouTube
With more than a few billion views a day, YouTube has revolutionised information exchange since its inception. The site gets at least 50 hours of new videos every minute. Video production has become a revenue generator for individuals and corporations. The content quality and production value are equally important for better results. The camera plays a vital role here.
The tool is only as good as the hands and heart that wield it. This is true to a certain extent, but one cannot discount the impact of a quality tool. A good Vlogging camera comes with good production value.
Do we need a flip screen?
Impartial to the purpose, the Vlogging camera comes with a flip screen which expands the scope of photography and video recording. It allows you to shoot from multiple angles with the flip screen to guide your framing and composition.
With a lot of brands at the helm, the market is flush with these devices. Bigger the list, complex the decision becomes. This article will guide you to choose the best Vlogging camera to suit your requirements and budget.
Identifying the requirements is the first step before analysing the features of the camera. Be it lifestyle v-log or travel v-log or beauty v-log, its essential to understand the specific needs.
Types of Vlogging Cameras
Video recording cameras belong to four categories. They are DSLR, Mirrorless Cameras, Point and Shoot, and Camcorders. While all the four types of camera can serve as an efficient video recording tool, they have their niche. It is the preference that tilts the decision in favour of a particular model.
The DSLR and Mirrorless cameras are compatible with multiple lenses and allow room for upgrades. The lenses are expensive and big, which puts them in the category of large-size cameras. The camcorders come with powerful cameras and high-quality production values. It caters to professionals and accommodates various accessories, which makes it further expensive. It gives complete control over the shooting operations. Point and shoot cameras are known for their compactness with no compromise in the resolution and quality.
Vlogging Camera With Flip Screen
1. Panasonic Lumix GH5 – Best Vlogging Camera With Flip Screen 2021
This digital single-lens mirrorless camera comes with 20.3 Mega Pixel Four-thirds sensor with low pass filter and 3.2 inch LCD touchscreen. This Panasonic camera shoots video 4K resolution at 60p. The slow-motion videos shot at Full HD resolution capture 180 frames per second. It allows conversion of shorter videos (shot at 6K resolution at 30fps) into images. The camera offers Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Freezeproof to 10 degrees with a magnesium alloy body.
- High resolution 3.0 inches LCD screen.
- Lumix GH5 records at 4K resolution at 60p/50p and shoots photos at 6K at 30fps
- A joystick controller to control the 225 focus points with selective AF
- Dual image stabilization
- Dual SD card slots to accommodate two hours of high-quality footage.
- Large OLED Live viewfinder for an accurate preview of the depth and exposure
- Premium product priced higher than their counterparts offers a worthy investment for advanced users only.
- Inbuilt microphones lose audio quality at outdoor shooting.
2. Sony Alpha a6300 – Best Mirrorless Camera for Vlogging
Sony Alpha a6300 is a mirrorless camera with offers recording at a high resolution of 4K. The BIONZ image process engine offers efficient auto-focusing. It comes with the best mix of auto and manual mode. The camera records 4x/5x slow-motion movies at 30 fps. The Wi-Fi enables the one-touch transfer of photos and videos to a device. Imaging edge mobile app allows your smartphone to act as a remote control.
- Unique 4D autofocus system with 425 points
- Focal plane phase-detection for A mount lenses.
- Offers recording at 4K UHD resolution
- XGA OLED Tru-Finder
- 24.2 MP Exmor CMOS image sensor
- Supports plug-in microphone
- Heating issues
- No NFC
3. Canon 70D – Upgradeable Vlogging Camera With Flip Screen
The Canon 70D, a 20.2 MegaPixel DSLR camera comes with a 3 inch LCD monitor with anti-smudge and anti-reflection coating. This camera gives you options to customise and upgrade the camera as you grow into a professional. It records video at 1080p resolution, and the batteries can handle up to two hours on a single charge.
- Compatible with more than 100 Canon EF Lenses
- 3 X Optical zoom
- Compatible to external GPS receiver.
- It comes with an inbuilt Wi-Fi module and EOS Remote application
- Inbuilt microphone and additional external microphone options
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF offering a 19-point autofocus system
- Auto modes and full manual mode operation for video recording.
- An intelligent viewfinder with an electronic overlay
- Single memory card slot
- No 4K resolution
4. Sony RX100 VI – Compact Lightweight Vlogging Camera with Flip Screen
Sony cyber shot RX 100 is a compact, lightweight point and shoot camera with offers recording at a high resolution of 4K. It comes with EISS® Vario-Sonnar T* Lens which offers an aperture range of 1.8-2.8.
It comes with a better mix of autofocus and manual mode. It is a 20.1-megapixel camera with a 1.0 inch CMOS sensor which offers up to 8 x optical zoom.
- Autofocus system with 315 points
- WiFi/ NFC connectivity to enable data exchange
- Offers recording at 4K UHD resolution
- Lightweight and compact design
- Effective 5-Axis Image stabilization
- Full manual control offers creative freedom and expression
- The SteadyShot feature reduces the blur in low light conditions
- Limited video time owing to the over-heating
- Overprices despite 4K resolution
5. Canon EOS M50 – Best Value for the Money Vlogging Camera
The Canon EOS M50 is one of the most value for money product in the Vlogging camera with a flip screen. It is a mirrorless camera with comes with a 4K recording resolution with 143 point autofocus capacity powered by DIGIC 8 image processor. It allows Manual Focus options. This Canon comes with the advantage of replaceable optics at the price of point and shoot camera. It offers WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth connectivity which enables remote access with smartphones.
- 24.1 MP APSC CMOS Sensor with ISO 25600
- 3-inch Varia-angle touch screen LCD
- The inbuilt OLED EVF and Drag AF
- Offers recording at 4K UHD resolution
- Dual Image Stabilization
- Supports external microphones
- It comes with canon’s latest DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- Cropped videos in 4K resolution
- A single memory slot and absence of headphone input.
5. Nikon D5600 – DSLR Camera With Rotating Touch Screen
The Nikon D5600 is a DSLR camera with a 3.2 inch LCD screen. It is easy to operate, compared to the other cameras available in the market. The display is a touch-sensitive screen with the rotating ability, which is essential for Vlogging. The Wi-Fi connectivity allows remote access with compatible smartphones. It offers time-lapse mode among the other video modes and comes with a live viewfinder. One of the best camera for the price change without compromise in the essential features.
- This 24.2 MP camera offers recording at Full HD at 60 fps.
- Advanced autofocus with a larger matrix which is beginner-friendly.
- Comes with a High standard sensitivity up to ISO 25600
- 3.2 inch LCD Touch screen
- Comes with an external microphone port
- Free cloud storage
- Integrated Wi-Fi connectivity
- Nikon’s Snap Bridge app helps you get photos out of your camera using Android, iOS powered devices.
- It doesn’t support recording at 4K resolution.
6. Canon Powershot G7X Mark II – Great Budget Point & Shoot Vlogging Camera
This Canon Powershot G7X Mark II is a point and shoot camera which packs a punch for its price. The camera comes with a 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with the processing power of DIGIC 7 an upgrade over the previous version. It comes with a 5-axis Advanced Dynamic IS that allows you to record steady footage at full zoom capacity. It shoots quality Full HD movies with variable frame rates up to 60 fps. The Wi-Fi and NFC functions let you store/share media.
- The 1 inch CMOS sensor for pristine capturing
- High resolution 3.0 inches LCD screen
- 4.2 X Optical Zoom with a wide aperture of f/1.8-2.8
- Superfast Auto Focus and continuous shooting in the RAW mode
- Offers plenty of manual control options in Aperture, shutter and ISO
- Lightweight, compact design
- Interval shooting features available for video recording
- It doesn’t support 4K resolution.
- No external Mic port
7. Canon XA11 – Best Professional Camcorder For Vlogging
This camcorder is a powerful recording tool used by professionals to create high-quality videos. You wouldn’t be able to use it unless you have an in-depth understanding. It comes with a 3 inch LCD panel with an electronic viewfinder. The detachable handles offer much-required compactness.
- 20 x Optical zoom
- Full HD recording resolution
- Multiple mode Image stabilization
- External input for remote control and headphones.
- Dual memory card slot to accommodate sufficient high-quality footage
- Assignable buttons
- No changing of optics/lens
- Professional level, the premium product comes at a high price, expensive accessories
Vlogging Camera With Flip Screen Buyer’s Guide
Irrespective of the category, certain features determine the quality of the video.
Resolution: The resolution decides the quality of the recording. Higher the resolution, higher the information captured by the camera. Ultra/Full HD and 4K are the high-quality resolutions offered by modern cameras.
FPS: The fps is the frequency of consecutive images in a time frame. The sharpness improves with the increase in frames per second. Usually, 24 fps is suitable for movies. Higher fps capture detailed pictures and videos. The cameras capture at 50/60 fps for high definition recording.
Autofocus: The autofocus uses a sensor, a control system and a motor to focus at a particular point while shooting. Helps while shooting moving subjects. Sony cameras have come with the best Auto Focus system in the market.
Lenses: Cameras come in with built-in lens and with the option of changing optics. While changing lenses allow upgrades, it becomes expensive. The light-weight cameras have a built-in lens which takes care of most of the recording requirements.
Sensor: The size of the sensor determines the size of the pixel of the camera. Larger the pixel matrix, more realistic the picture looks. The DSLR and Mirrorless cameras come with big sensors and a powerful processor to handle the material.
Auto mode: The cameras come with standard settings which suit beginners. As you understand the technicalities, manual mode gives a lot of options for customisation. It’s better to choose a camera which offers a mix of auto and manual modes.
Optical Image Stabilization: Image stabilisation mechanism is important while recording subjects in motion. DSLR and mirrorless cameras come with dual stabilization, an extra layer of stabilisation with the inbuilt stabilizer.
Zoom: The mirrorless cameras and the point & shoot cameras boast a wide range of focal lengths. And they provide the best zooming options. Both optical & digital zoom help in capturing subjects at a long distance the digital zoom results in loss of quality in the final product.
Microphones: The outdoor shootings are challenging with an inbuilt microphone, which makes the external microphone slot essential. The modern-day cameras come with an inbuilt microphone. If you have a specific outdoor requirement, it better to choose a camera with an external microphone port.
Wi-Fi/NFC/Bluetooth: Most of the modern-day cameras come with WiFi connectivity to transfer files and enable remote operation. It has become an important feature owing to the increase in recorded content.
Conclusion: Best Vlogging Camera
Of all the Vlogging camera we have listed, choosing the best one becomes more of a personal choice. Canon is a pioneer in recording devices. It has got most of the things right with Canon EOS M50. It offers the optimal balance of features and price.
Sony produces some great cameras, but they do come with a premium and have overheating problems. Sony Alpha a6300 offers a great buy despite the price. It scores high on design aesthetics and compactness. Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II is the best option for people working with budget constraints.
Last update on 2021-03-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API