TLDR; If you’re in a hurry the Tuft & Needle Original Mattress is the Best Mattress according to reddit! Get it with No gimmicks, no sales tactics, 100 night trial and easy returns
- General Note: Please allow 24 - 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding
- Pressure Relief - Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback, and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night.
- Support - The T&N Original Mattress is ideal for back and stomach sleepers. We complemented the T&N Adaptive foam with a base layer of supportive foam to prevent sinking into the mattress.
Reddit is a cool site to be on. It has a post about almost everything that you can find. With a wide variety of topics, Reddit more or less justifies its self proclaimed “Front Page of the Internet” title. But the thing that piques our interest the most is tons of reviews that can be found on it. Reviews of all kinds of services and products by people who know what they are doing. Most of these reviews are unbiased and answer questions that an average user or buyer looks for in a product or service.
They are personal testimonies on how good or bad that particular product is. If you are looking for something and confused about which one to choose, then more often than not, you will find your answers. So in this article, we will try and get one such answer. We will take some help from Reddit and find out which is the best mattress. But first let us learn a bit about what makes a mattress perfect courtesy of, you guessed it, Reddit.
Best Mattress FAQ Reddit
In your search for a perfect mattress for yourself, you need to learn a little about mattresses and what makes them better. Lucky for us all u/Duende555 has all covered with his awesome An attempt at a Mattress FAQ post on the Mattress subreddit. Below we will try to summarise it a little.
What’s the best mattress?
This isn’t the proper question to ask. There might have been instances where you had a good sleeping experience on a poor quality mattress and a rather unpleasant sleeping experience on a very expensive mattress. So the better questions would be to ask what you find comfortable and whether the mattress you’re considering made of quality materials? Answer these questions and you will find the right mattress.
How to find something that’s comfortable?6
The easiest way to find a comfortable mattress is to go to the nearest store and try them out. Some might find the traditional innerspring mattress comfortable while others might like an all-foam bed. Also knowing what you’ve slept on in the past gives you a better clue as to what works better for you. Once you find something comforting and have an idea of what you like, you should then evaluate their Quality.
How to evaluate the quality of a mattress?
Mattress quality is mostly determined by the quality of the support system and the quality of its comfort layers. The support system is typically a layer of poly foam or latex foam or a spring system. Comfort layers are much softer foam like polyfoam, memory foam, and latex or much softer coil systems known as micro coils.
What are quality foams?
The quality of foams is evaluated by the density of the foam as measured by pounds per cubic foot (lb/pcf). The denser a foam is the more durable it is and longer it retains “showroom feel” for. He broke them down into three categories.
- Polyfoam: This is the most common comfort material. Anything less than 1.0lb/pcf is very low-quality while1.2lb/pcf is low quality. Medium quality foam generally has 1.5lb/pcf and that with1.8lb / pcf are considered high quality. Finally anything near 2.0lb/pcf or higher is very high quality. Make sure you read the true specifications of the Mattress. These will decide how comfortable the Mattress is.
- Memory foam: This is more durable and much more comfortable but lags a little in heat retention. Most lower density layers are of lower quality. A lower density foam can also mean that it’s slightly cooler. Anything near 3.0lb/pcf or less is low quality while 4.0lb/pcf is medium quality and 5.0lb/pcf or higher is very high quality. Another thing is that many (though not all) memory foams with higher density might also have a firmer feel. A lot of the mattresses that use this material are typically a memory foam mattress in a box.
- Latex foam: It is very durable across the board regardless of density. There have been reports regarding synthetic vs organic latex issues but that isn’t common. Latex doesn’t normally wear out to a significant degree.
What are quality spring systems?
There are a lot of spring systems and unlike foam layers, most of these are considered very durable. This is because they use steel or titanium components. However, despite the quality of their components, low coil count units might have inadequate support. So you should check out their coil count from their manufacturer website.
- Bonnell Coils: These are simple hourglass-shaped springs that are tied together. These have solid support but provide low conformability. Coil counts range between 300-500 for a queen size. These are the most common coils in use.
- Alternating Coils: These are tied spring systems that have a moderate amount of conformability thanks to a few modifications. Coil counts for these are in the 300’s-800 range based on the system used.
- Pocketed Coils: These are individually pocketed coils that work independently of one another. They are however still connected by joined fabric. These provide low or high conformability depending on the firmness of the foam materials or their coil thickness. The softer a foam material the more conformation it allows. Coil counts range from 500’s-1000’s for a queen size. This had been patented by Beautyrest but is now available for all mattress companies.
- Coil gauge: Coil gauge is a measure of its thickness and firmness. A thicker coil has a lower coil gauge. The arrangement of these coils in the mattress has a lot of significance. For instance, one can still get soft support from a 13 gauge alternating coil like the Verticoil, very firm support from a 15 gauge pocketed coil system given there are firm foams above it.
What about cooling technologies?
Cooling technologies do provide a few benefits but these benefits are generally very short-lived and last only a few hours at most. The cooling systems are more a marketing strategy and you don’t need them. Instead, you might want a mattress with a spring system for increased airflow or even have air-conditioning to keep the bedroom cool. So these cooling technologies are mostly gimmicks and don’t do much.
Do I need a boxspring?
Boxsprings aren’t totally necessary because most mattresses do a totally good job on flat foundations like plywood or even on the floor. However if you do opt for them, these grid foundations can actually soften the feel of a bed to some extent specialty on a pocketed coil mattress. One should also know that placing your mattress on a flat foundation like plywood or the floor can diminish the airflow. This can lead to the development of mold in some cases.
This is just a small portion of what has been discussed in the FAQ post. Everything can’t be covered and that would be out of the scope of this article. So you should check out the FAQ to know even more. Now the question is does one need to know all these things about a mattress to be able to decide a good quality mattress? The answer is YES and NO. Having this knowledge would enable you to make a better decision but if you don’t know these you can still go by others’ recommendations. They know all these things and have already taken those mattresses out for a ride. So if you don’t want to go into the technical details, you can just refer to those recommendations. So let us now look at the most recommended mattress by Redditors. We will also see what they have to say about these mattresses.
Best Mattress According to Reddit
1. Tuft & Needle Original Mattress – Best Mattress According to Reddit 2022
The Tuft & Needle Original mattress is one of the most recommended mattresses by Redditors. And there’s a good reason for that. It is very soft and comfortable and provides a great sleeping experience. It doesn’t compromise on bounce or support while being comfortable. Most Redditors had only positive things to say about it. Here are a few of those testimonials.
What Redditors said about the Mattress
u/kgranson: “ We bought a T&N Mint mattress about 1 1/2 months ago. I have scoliosis and sleeping gives me back pain fairly often. We went from a Serta iComfort to this and I will NEVER look back. It took me about a week to adjust to the T&N but once I was it has been some of the best nights of sleeping I’ve had in a LONG time. No more waking up super sore, no more tossing and turning just great sleep.”
u/theragu40: “We bought a T&N mattress and it was well worth it. No story like that, but we went from waking each other up at night from tossing and turning to essentially zero motion transfer. After awhile we ended up putting a 1.5″memory foam topper on the bed because it was a tad too firm for us, but I still recommend the bed with that caveat. We really enjoy it.”
u/mercerfreakinisland: “I love my Tuft and Needle. Sold my old one to a roommate and just purchased my second one and making payments on it. I pay $100 a month which is easier on my wallet since I just made a move to a new city and needed time to get my finances on a stable swing. Also helps build my credit up a bit.”
Pressure Relief: The Tuft & Needle Original mattress has an Adaptive foam. This foam is engineered after taking into consideration different customer feedbacks. As a result of this, the Tuft & Needle mattress provides pressure relief where it’s most needed. It is built in an open-cell structure which makes it possible to adjust according to your movement in your sleep through the night and gives you a flexible sleep surface.
Support: The foam in the Tuft & Needle Original mattress is ideal for every type of sleeper. Be it of any size or weight. To complement the Tuft & Needle Adaptive foam, there is an additional support layer that makes you comfortable throughout the night and provides a great sleeping experience.
Cool Sleeping: The Tuft & Needle Original mattress has additional graphite and cooling gel added to their T&N Adaptive foam. This gel is in addition to its breathable open-cell foam. This results in the pulling of all the body heat away from the sleeping person and dispersing it out from the sides. So, along with a night of comfortable sleep, you also remain cool the whole time.
Versatility: The Tuft & Needle Original mattress is compatible and complementary with most frames and foundations available. This includes the traditional frames, box springs, platform frames, slatted frames, bunky boards, and adjustable frames. So, no matter what type of bed or flat surface you have, be assured that your Tuft & Needle Original mattress will support it.
The Tuft & Needle Original mattress has multiple layers and this is how it’s stacked.
- Cozy Ultra-Soft Cover: On top of the mattress is a cozy and softcover which is also breathable.
- Adaptive Open-cell foam: Its foam is an Adaptive Open-cell foam which bounces back for more comfort.
- Heat-wicking Graphite: It has a Heat-wicking Graphite that absorbs the body heat and pulls it away from your body.
- Heat-trapping Cooling gel: It also includes a Cooling gel which manages to trap the heat and move it away from the body.
- Durable Mattress Support: It has a very durable Mattress Support which is very rigid and will last for a long time.
2. Leesa 10″ Memory Foam Mattress
The Leesa is another commonly recommended mattress. It features an all-foam design and comes with a breathable top cover. Its top layer provides a much cooler sleeping experience and its memory foam and core support layer make for a comfortable sleep throughout the night.
What Redditors said about the Mattress
u/NorthYorkEd: We’ve had our Leesa for about two months now and are very satisfied with it. But I know that everyone has their own preferences and what works for one person might not work for another. We are mid-40s, average size, and neither of us are experiencing any pain or discomfort. It’s miles above our previous coil mattress.
u/turtoils: I’m on a Leesa – bought when it was on sale around Canada Day. Now, considering the mattress I was on before I’d had for ~25 years, I can definitely say this one is better! It’s the right mix of firm and soft and properly supports my bad back. I just slept on a friend’s posturpedic for a week and it was literally painful, but my Leesa is great! I can sleep on my side or back no problem. I actually sleep too soundly now and sometimes don’t move all night, haha!
u/tmcbaggin: Leesa mattress x 2 years. Love it. I can sleep on anything, back sleeper, 5’10 165lbs and have no problem. My wife is the picky one, side sleeper, 5’6” 115lbs and was used to hearing her complain about her back weekly no matter what bed we slept on but have only heard her complain about twice now about “sleeping funny”. So far it’s a little less firm than the day it arrived but don’t think it’s a bad thing. Would definitely buy again.
Breathable Foam: The Leesa 10″ Memory Foam Mattress has a top layer which is made of breathable foam. Other than being breathable, this foam is responsive and stays cool. It also has a hug and bounce that is generally associated with a mattress. This Foam is exclusive to Leesa.
Memory Foam: The Leesa 10″ Mattress also features a Memory foam. This memory foam makes up for the perfect hug. It relieves the body from the back, hip, and shoulder pressure by perfectly molding into the shape of the body.
Signature core support: For its core support, the Leesa 10″ Mattress uses a foam-based layer. This layer provides extra support and durability for the body. This is compatible with all body types and sleep positions.
Allround Sleep: The build and design materials of the mattress makes it perfect for all sleep positions. Be it the back position, side position, or even the stomach position. It is designed for maximum comfort and support. Because of all this it relieves the pressure and also reduces lower back pain. So you get a perfect and all-round sleep experience.
This is how the Leesa 10″ Memory Foam Mattress is stacked and designed.
- Twill Fabric breathable cover: On top of the mattress is a twill fabric cover. The cover is gray in color and is very soft and beautiful. This is thanks to it being made of twill fabric. The cover is also breathable. This results in a night of much more comfortable sleep.
- Exclusive Foam: Below the sheet cover is an exclusive foam by Leesa. This foam is breathable, responsive, and stays very cool. It also has the hug & bounce that most mattresses have.
- Memory foam: It also has a memory foam below the foam layer. This foam relieves the body of extra pressure. It also relieves the body from the back, hip, and shoulder pressure by perfectly molding into the shape of the body.
- Supportive base layer: The bottom-most layer is a foam-based support layer that provides signature support. This layer provides extra support and durability for the body. This is compatible with all body types and sleep positions.
3. Casper Sleep Essential Mattress
The Casper Sleep Essential Mattress is another favorite mattress of most Redditors. It is an all-foam mattress and is very affordable. Its mattress has 4 different foam layers and has a symmetric construction with contour cuts and 5 zones. It includes a removable mattress cover which is made of 99% polyester and 1% elastane. It also has handles for moving and turning the mattress and is made of 100% polyester.
What Redditors said about the Mattress
u/rafiki530: I’ve got a casper mattress it’s pretty nice, I’ve slept in the purple and the Tuft & Needle at various friends houses and air bnb, and I’d say the casper has the best support. I pair mine with some of those bamboo pillows and it’s a great night’s rest. Huge improvement from my serta.
u/LostSkeletonRMB: Casper is great. I was actually able to try them out locally because they mad a pop up shop near me. It took me a couple nights to get used to the mattress but after that I slept great, probably better than before and didn’t get too hot.
u/tobacco-free: I’ve had a Casper bed for about 3 years. It’s held up great. No real wear so to speak other than stains which are our fault.
EASY TO CLEAN: The Casper Sleep Essential Mattress has a Zip-off premium knit cover. This cover comes with hidden handles and is very easy to clean. In fact, it can withstand even years of washing without getting damaged and faded.
BREATHABILITY: They top layer of the Casper Sleep Essential Mattress is an Open-cell type layer. This makes the top layer breathable. It also keeps it cool when in sleep and provides some bounce and hugs as well.
PRESSURE-RELIEF: The Casper Sleep Essential Mattress also includes a memory foam. This memory foam is of a High-density and hence it supports different pressure points. This relieves the body from the back, hip, and shoulder pressure and releases the extra pressure.
DEEP COMFORT: There is a Transition layer on the Casper Sleep Essential Mattress. This layer allows the body weight to be evenly distributed throughout the mattress. This results in extra comfort.
ZONED SUPPORT™: The Casper Sleep Essential Mattress has a base support layer that has been contour cut. This layer adds long-lasting durability to the mattress. It also improves spine alignment.
The Casper Essential has three layers stacked on top of each other. These layers are of memory foam, polyfoam, and a high-density polyfoam. All these layers come together to form the mattress.
- Cover – On top of the Casper Essential is its cover. This is an “Upholstery-grade cover” which is made up of a hybrid knit weave This makes the cover both soft to the touch and also super durable. In Fact it can stand up to years of use without any tears.
- Comfort – The topmost layer of the Casper Essential is made up of poly foam. This top layer is both breathable and very soft to touch and also has bounce. The material also responds to pressure very quickly and keeps the sleeper positioned. The foam fills in the space on the lower back which is very pleasant and comforting. There isn’t much sinkage into this layer.
- Contour – On the Casper Essential there is another section of memory foam just below the comfort layer. This layer of foam however has a slow response to pressure, unlike the comfort layer. This allows more sinkage and contouring. The contour layer has an Ergonomic design and allows the user to sink in their shoulders and also support their hips.
- Base – The bottommost layer in the construction of the Casper Essential is a layer of high-density polyfoam. This Base foam reinforces the top layer and adds durability to the structure.
4. Purple Mattress
The next Mattress on our list that is loved by Redditors is the Purple Mattress. This mattress uses the Purple Grid™ that eliminates the pressure points and allows the airflow. As a result, it lets you sleep cool and comfortable. Using this your hips and shoulders will be perfectly cradled and your back will be. The Purple Mattress gives you both comfort and support.
What Redditors said about the Mattress
u/nbigs: I bought a Purple Queen Mattress back in July. I had to wait about 4 weeks for it to ship out, but besides that it is easily the best mattress I have ever owned. My fiancee and I sleep with ease with no problems and we now despise traveling back to our parents’ houses and sleeping there. I would highly recommend it 10/10.
u/in8logic: My Purple mattress is easily the best I’ve ever had. I love that it stays cool and if I have to get up in the night, I’m not worried that I might wake my wife because it has almost no motion transfer.
u/Cephe: My gf and I picked one up about 6 months ago and have been really happy. I used to always be a back sleeper but now I can comfortably be a back and side sleeper with this mattress. We were looking at a Casper originally then began reading some reviews and started to lean more towards purple (which we didn’t even consider in the beginning tbh).
Instant No Pressure Support: The Purple Mattress comes with the Purple Grid which is designed to dynamically flex under pressure. This means that it cradles your shoulders and hips while also fully supporting your back.
Sleeps Cool: The Purple Mattress also has thousands of open-air channels. So when you lie down, it neutralizes your body heat through the night and makes you feel cool. As a result, you can sleep comfortably cool throughout the night.
- SoftFlex Cover: On top of the mattress is the custom, super-soft wave knit Cover. This wave knit delivers tons of stretch to the cover which maximizes the flexing properties of the Purple Mattress. It also has a breathable design that enables you to sleep perfectly cool by promoting the airflow.
- 2” Purple Grid: Below the cover is a 2” Purple Grid for providing support. It is a “Balanced No Pressure®” support which has been designed to flex in the pressure points and also support the rest of your body.
- Dual Layered Comfort Foam: On the bottom is a Dual Layered Comfort Foam. The upper layer is a soft and responsive comfort layer. The one below is a firm and supportive layer. This is made from high-density foam which makes it last for a long period.
5. Zinus Green Tea Mattress
The Zinus Green tea is a full Pressure Relief Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress. It provides a “Medium-Plush” feel when sleeping. It does so by absorbing green tea extract and ActivCharcoal. It consists of pure and natural Green Tea which neutralizes odor and provides a cleaner sleep. Zinus infuses its memory foam products with natural green tea which acts as an antioxidant and maintains the product freshness.
What Redditors said about the Mattress
u/MyFailedExperiment: I got the 10″ Zinus green tea queen-size mattress almost 2 years ago and I’ve found it to be very comfortable.
u/Zebilmnc: I have one. I love it. Its a lot firmer than my old bed, so keep that in mind. They go on sale a lot and if you watch slickdeals you will see them on there. I got a king size for like $180 delivered.
u/resomk: My personal mattress is a Zinus and my 2 guest rooms which I use for Airbnb are also Zinus. I always get rave reviews about how comfortable my beds are.
Pressure Relief: The Zinus Green Tea Mattress has a conforming and customized support which helps in improving the sleep efficiency. It also alleviates the aches and pains. The overall result of this is a pressure-free and comfortable sleeping experience.
ActivCharcoal: The Zinus Green Tea Mattress is made from a purified charcoal that absorbs moisture and hence in the process minimizes the odor-causing agents. This keeps the mattress Odor free.
Green Tea: The mattress consists of Pure and natural Green Tea which provides a cleaner sleep by neutralizing the odor. It also consists of certified foam that meets the strict standards for content, emissions, and durability.
Conforming + Comfy: The Zinus Green Tea Mattress is very conforming and comfortable. It conforms to the user’s body shape and provides a cloud-like sleeping experience which feels as if the sleeper is floating.
Light + Airy: Owing to its light and airy build, the Zinus Green Tea Mattress lets you snooze comfortably no matter you are hot or even cold. It also helps in improving the sleep efficiency and alleviates the aches and pains.
The Zinus Green Tea Mattress consists of 4 different layers stacked on top of each other. The four layers are as follows
- Memory Foam: The topmost layer is a memory foam. This layer provides pressure relieving support & comfort that contours to the body. This is CertiPUR-US Certified.
- Comfort Foam: Below the memory foam is the comfort foam which gives a pressure relief & has an extra cushion. These cushions also provide zone ventilation.
- High-density foam: This is a much firmer and high-density foam. The main purpose of this foam is to support the body and provide comfort.
- High-density Base Support Foam: The bottommost layer is a High-density Base Support Foam. It has a convoluted shape that increases the airflow and also supports the body.
Best Mattress in 2022 According to Reddit
So these were the top 5 mattresses that are recommended the most by Redditors. Depending on your budget, you can choose the one that suits you the most. They will all provide you with a safe and comfortable sleeping experience.
Last update on 2022-10-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API