If you want to snuggle up with your family or pet but there isn’t enough legroom on your bed, the Alaskan king bed is just the spacious bed you need. Alaskan king beds are available in a range of different materials and designs, so you can pick the bed that’s just right for you. A king size Alaskan in any household is something that everyone needs. This is because a king-size bed will fit your needs when it comes to everything from sleeping to entertaining guests.
If you are searching for a king bed that can cater to all the bedroom needs of your family, we’ve got your back. This buyer’s guide to selecting the perfect Alaskan King Bed is all you need to get started. We’ve recommended some of the most iconic Alaskan beds below to make this easier for you.
What Is An Alaskan King Bed?
An Alaskan King Bed is an oversized bed option designed for people looking for a co-sleeping arrangement or to sleep with their kids and pets. It measures around nine by nine feet or 108″x108″.
We all know the benefits of co-sleeping. It helps with forming bonds and has health benefits as well. Sometimes it also feels good to just have a huge and cozy bed for yourself with plenty of space to have a good night’s sleep. The Alaskan king bed gives enough room for the sleeper to move around while sleeping which makes it great for couples and families. If you are tall this bed size is the standard choice for you as it offers over seven feet of length.
How Much Does An Alaskan King Mattress Cost?
A good Alaskan King Mattress can cost anywhere between $3000 to $7000 which is more expensive than other standard beds. The price depends on the material used to make the bed. Beds with memory foam and hybrid materials cost more. You can reduce the cost depending on the material you choose for the bed structure. The lower-priced beds are of coil structure and the price varies according to the coil type, coil size, and the material used.
What Is The Best Type Of Alaskan King Mattress?
Mattresses can have a significant influence on the quality of your life. It can be hard to select a mattress because there are different types of layers and it can get confusing to narrow down the options. We have tried to simplify this process by compiling a list of the best mattresses available.
- Innerspring Mattress: This traditional mattress is designed with a layer of coils surrounded by comfortable materials like latex, natural fibers, or foam. There are different coil types and layouts for different effects. They offer solid back support and are available in a wide range of firmness. There are many budget-friendly options for this type of mattress. They are best for stomach and back sleepers and people with lower back pain.
- Foam Mattress: Invented by NASA, memory foam mattresses are made of different combinations of different-density foams that provide softness and support. They are great for side sleepers and those with joint pain and prevent motion transfer if you are a restless sleeper. They reduce the pressure on your spine by conforming to your body shape by responding to heat and pressure. Its long-term use reduces chronic back pain and has a positive effect on chronic respiratory problems. They are more durable compared to other mattresses as there is no sagging and requires negligible maintenance.
- Hybrid Mattresses: This mattress is a hybrid or combination of both spring and foam. If you are unsure of your preference you can opt for a hybrid mattress. It gives you the benefits of both the foam and spring mattress as it provides pressure relief and a sturdy feel. They have superior longevity, breathability, and responsiveness. They regulate temperature better than foam mattresses and are great for couples with different firmness preferences.
- Latex: Known for its extreme comfort and durability, this mattress is associated with eco-friendly practices and an enhanced sleeping experience. It is usually made from two or four layers consisting of latex foam of different types. Latex is soft, supportive, and extremely durable. It provides relief near the lower back and the joints by gently supporting lighter areas like the neck and back. It is hypoallergenic and has low maintenance. It is naturally antimicrobial making it ideal for people with allergies. It has an open-cell structure that allows constant airflow that enhances breathability and keeps the mattress cool.
- Gel foam mattresses: This is similar to a memory foam mattress except that it has gel pods added to the top layers of foam. The gel pods are to provide extra support to your neck region and lower back by conforming to your unique sleeping position. It adds more bounce to the mattress and allows the foam to mold back to its original shape when not in use. The gel keeps you cool by absorbing body heat. This mattress can be a little more expensive and heavier than the others. There is also reduced motion transfer which means you can move around without disrupting your partner’s sleep.
What To Consider Before Buying An Alaskan King Mattress?
One of the most important things to consider before buying a mattress is uniform support to the back. Other things to look for are:
- Comfort: You need to make sure that your body feels comfortable and relaxed after 7-8 hours of sleep on the mattress. If your body aches after waking up then the mattress is uncomfortable. You need to spend some time on the mattress before you decide if it is the best for you. Many brands have a free trial period so you can test the mattress before you decide to keep it.
- Support and firmness level: A medium firmness level mattress is best for side sleepers as it helps keep your spine aligned. For those who sleep on their stomach, a firm mattress makes more sense as it prevents the pressure points from sinking in this position. A medium firmness level mattress is ideal for back sleepers and any other sleeper who moves around a lot while sleeping.
- Shipping time and building: Alaskan beds are custom built so they require extra time to be manufactured which adds to the shipping timeline. These beds can also be huge and heavy due to which delivery may take anywhere between 6 days to 6 weeks. Some companies charge a shipping fee which can be quite expensive. That is why you should buy from brands that offer free shipping.
- Warranty: Having extended warranties gives the customer peace of mind as it ensures that the bed you are investing money in does not get wasted. It helps you preserve your financial investment. Considering what the warranty covers is also vital. Check if all components are covered under it or if there are any hidden costs in the coverage.
- Space required for the bed frame and mattress: Alaskan King Bed is an oversized mattress so there is a possibility that it may not fit through all doors while moving. Most brands ship the bed in components so you can assemble it directly in the room you wish to place it. The size of the room matters too. The room needs to be spacious enough to fit the bed without making the room look too crowded. You can customize the mattress according to the dimensions of the room.
- Try before buying: You need to feel the mattress to make sure it is comfortable before buying it. Look for brands that offer free trials or accept returns in case you do not like the bed or it doesn’t meet all your needs. It takes a while for your body to understand if the mattress is comfortable or not, so brands offering a trial period are the way to go. It is very important to feel the pressure of the mattress and its firmness.
- Bedding Accessories: Bedding for Alaskan beds like bed sheets, blankets, and duvets are not available everywhere but are much easier to find compared to Alaskan bed frames. There are not many options to choose from but you should find everything you need on Amazon or from the retailers selling these mattresses.
Where To Buy An Alaskan King Bed?
Since you can only custom order Alaskan king mattresses and bed frames, you can’t just walk into a retail store to buy them. You need to get them custom made which is a great opportunity to get a mattress and a bed frame that meet your exact specifications. Below we have listed a few online retailers you can purchase Alaskan king mattresses, bed frames and bedding from.
Best Alaskan King Bed Mattresses
1. Big Mattress Classic by Big Mattress Co – Best Overall
- Replaceable components allow for extending the life of the mattress
- The soft cotton cover stays warm in winter and cool during summer
- Contouring foam reduces motion transfer and ensures excellent support and pressure relief
- 10 Year Warranty
Designed for unlimited luxury, this Big Mattress Classic is as good as it gets. It is weightlessly comfortable with a sleeping surface of the soft cotton cover giving unsurpassed comfort and temperature regulation. The materials cradle the body in total lavishness providing the finest natural support system. Made from 11-inch US foam and soft cotton, it assists you in having a healthier sleep.
You can choose from Classic Foam or Classic Hybrid and both mattresses have a dimension of 108’Wx108’Lx11’H. The materials and fabrics used are non-irritating and free from unwanted chemicals like ozone depleters, formaldehyde, and more making it environment-friendly. It has also won the Best Overallsized Mattress Award 2023 demonstrating its commitment to quality.
You can purchase this model from the Big Mattress Co official website where they offer free shipping and a 100-night free trial so you get time to decide if this is the mattress for you.
- 100 Night free trial
- Temperature regulating and non-irritating material
- Environment-friendly with no chemicals and replaceable components
- Excellent edge-support to prevent sagging
- Requires more space than a regular bed
- Motion transfer levels are higher than average
2. Von Viva Epica Kona Oversized Mattress – Best Customizable
- A vast array of firmness levels for optimum support
- Stretch Knit fabric used for cooling and breathability
- Best materials like High-Density Foam, Dunlop Latex, High Resiliency Foam, Joma Wool, and cotton are used
- Handcrafted and custom-built by highly skilled artisans
Von Viva is a trusted brand and has been around for decades. It has delivered cutting-edge innovation through the years. Its oversized mattresses have a striking contrast to mass-produced mattresses on the market as it allows customization for different sleepers in the same bed. Its versatile mattresses are designed for a lifetime of use.
The model Von Epica Kona is one of the best-oversized models they have although there are other Von Viva oversized models too. This mattress is made of three layers. The lush top layer is made of Talalay Latex which comes from the sap of the best rubber trees in the world. The core layer is made of High-Density Foam and is about 4 inches thick.
If you and your partner prefer different firmness levels then this is the best choice as you can adjust the firmness level for the left and right sides. There are various firmness level options to choose from. This custom mattress can be customized vertically to meet each sleeper’s needs and horizontally to support each sleeper’s shoulder, back, and hip regions. You can adjust the firmness level based on your preference. Each component can be replaced if damaged due to regular use.
You can purchase this model from the Von Viva official website as they offer free shipping across USA and Canada.
- The left and the right side have adjustable firmness
- Many firmness level options
- Deconstruct for easy shipping or moving
- Highly rated with 40 years of experience
- Setup service is not available
- Shipping fees for remote locations
What Makes a Good Alaskan King Bed Frame?
As Alaskan King Mattresses are custom-made, it could be a bit of a hassle to find the right bed frame. It is best to buy the bed frame from the brand where you purchase the mattress or get it custom-built by a local carpenter. There are, however, some great online retailers that sell excellent and high-quality Alaskan bed frames. We have listed them down below.
Best Alaskan King Bed Frames
1. The Sky Ride Family Bed Frame By MattressInsider
- Has strong and flexible support slats
- Chemical-free and environment-friendly
- Locally sourced materials used to support small businesses
- Free shipping offered by the brand
This platform Bed Frame is handcrafted from Appalachian hardwood and is chemical free. The frame is free of toxins and contains no heavy metals, chemical dryers, or petrol chemicals. It has very sturdy and flexible support slats constructed using Poplar wood which gives the frame superior strength and sustainability. The natural wood grain patterns are brought out using a plant base. The total height of the frame is 12.5″. The frame is shipped in a disassembled manner to keep the price of the product low. You can use a rubber mallet and a power screwdriver for construction.
The mattress sits on top of the frame rather than in it. The brand, however, does not accept returns or cancellations once the production of the bed frame is started. The frame is designed to eliminate the requirement for a box spring or mattress foundation. To take good care of it all you have to do is avoid exposing the wood frame to solvents like perfumes, hairsprays, nail polish, etc. These products can destroy the finish of the bed frame.
- Custom-made bed frame finished with linseed oil
- Durable as it is crafted from superior wood quality
- Sleek and luxurious look
- The wood can get scratched if not maintained properly
- No return or cancellation policy
- Doesn’t come with a headboard
2. Platform Minimalist Design Bed Frame By Alaskan King Bed Company
- Minimalist design to make the room feel more airy and spacious
- Comes in a range of sizes so you can select the one that meets your requirements
- Perfect for tall and heavier individuals as the bed is very sturdy and durable
- The luxurious size makes you feel like royalty and the height of the bed is low making it safe for kids
Alaskan King Bed Company designs Alaskan king bed frames that elevate the style of any bedroom. This platform bed frame is the perfect bed foundation for all Alaskan king mattresses. It is handcrafted by North Carolina artisans using heritage techniques. The bed frame is constructed from hardwood and white diamond upholstery fabric.
Attention is paid to every detail, ensuring the premium quality of these bed frames. This bed frame comes in three sizes: Alaskan King (108″ Lx108″Wx13″H), Alaskan King Shorty (108″Lx80’Wx13″H), and Alaskan King Mini (96″Lx96″ Wx13″H). This product ships in 4-5 weeks and is made-to-order. The bed frame is covered under a two-year warranty. This warranty applies only to faulty workmanship or materials.
- One of the most affordable options in the market
- The brand offers free shipping within 5-6 weeks
- High-quality material used for a lifetime of use
- Doesn’t come with a headboard
Alaskan King Bed FAQs
Will the Alaskan King Bed fit through a standard doorway?
Most Alaskan king mattresses are sold disassembled as they are made of separate components. Some brands ship it folded in half which allows them to fit through the doorway. This does not in any way affect the performance or lifespan of the mattress.
How big does the room need to be to fit the Alaskan king bed?
The Alaskan king bed is the biggest oversized mattress available on the market. It requires at least 16 feet by 16 feet of space to fit in a room.
Is the Alaskan king bed the biggest?
Yes, the Alaskan King Bed is the largest oversized mattress that you can find. However, there are other oversized mattresses available that are almost as big as the Alaskan king bed. In order of size they are: The California King, Texas King, Wyoming King, and the Alaskan King.
Where can I find Alaskan King Bedding?
You can find Alaskan king sheets at Vero Linens Alaskan King sheets and made-to-order bedding or Von Viva T-500 Sheets. Any duvets, duvet covers, or mattress pads are easily available on Von Viva’s official website.
There is no doubt that the Alaskan King Bed screams luxury and is great for people who want the best sleeping experience. You’re investing a lot of money into the comfort that is 100% worth it. If you think that the Alaskan king bed is the right fit for you and your family then the Big Mattress Classic by Big Mattress Co is a mattress that is sure to meet your expectations.
There are a few aspects that you cannot ignore while choosing the Alaskan King Bed. Warranties are one such aspect. You would be wrong to invest your hard-earned money into a mattress that doesn’t have a good warranty. You must carefully read the terms and conditions of the warranty to protect your investment. Brands that offer an in-home setup should be preferred as you won’t have to deal with the hassle of setting up the bed yourself. The comfort and durability of the bed are other aspects that you must consider before purchasing the mattress. When shopping for Alaskan king mattresses, price should never be the only thing you pay attention to.
We feel confident in the recommendations above as we have looked at all the aspects from the ease of ordering and set up, to durability, to the comfort and support provided by the mattress. Hope this guide has helped you choose the right Alaskan king bed setup. Selecting the right Alaskan king mattress for you and your family will have a tremendous impact on your health and happiness, after all!
Leave a Reply