When you have limited space at home, saving space is always a win. Having a great bedroom, a workstation, and a seating area could be next to impossible in a tiny apartment. Murphy beds are the perfect compact solution if you do not want to trade a comfy and large-sized bed for extra space. It gives you the best of both worlds: A place to crash and catch up on your sleep at night and a place to work during the day.
A Murphy bed is a wall bed that pulls down from the wall via a chest, cabinet, or storage unit. You can place the bed back in its original place whenever you need that extra bed space. Online shoppers love the space-saving features and appreciate the comfort and design of a Murphy bed. They allow you to create a flex space and make a crowded room feel put together.
We have identified the best murphy beds on the market today. So keep reading to find the perfect Murphy bed that suits your needs!
Best Murphy & Wall Mounted Beds 2022
1. Red Barrel Studio Crossfell Murphy Bed – Best Overall
- It has a warranty length of one year.
- Box spring is not required.
- Most affordable queen-sized option.
- Euro slat mattress support for extra comfort.
- Bookshelves on either side of the bed frame.
The Crossfell Murphy bed is the best option available today. Consisting of two storage shelves it provides a ton of extra storage space. It makes the most of the wall-mounted design. This Shaker-inspired murphy bed is flanked by bookshelves on both sides. You can adjust the shelves to maximize the utility of the space. The bed is super easy to set up by tugging the handle. It has a Euro slat mattress system that offers great support and comfort. It also has a built-in headboard making it look like a conventional bed.
It uses a simple and safe dual-piston system to open and close the bed. The sides are 3/4 inches thick and the shelves have a weight capacity of 20 pounds with a shelf depth of 18.2″. It can support mattresses up to 12-inch thickness weighing 70lbs. When opened the bed would require up to 92.5″ of space. The frame is made up of manufactured wood and has a total weight capacity of 1000 lbs.
- Book lovers: Anyone looking for extra storage space for books or anything else has plenty of room to store these items. Two shelves are fixed while the other three are adjustable so you can customize the space according to your liking.
- Heavy sleepers: The weight capacity of the bed frame is good enough to hold heavy people. You do not have to worry about the bed withstanding your weight as the manufactured wood gives the bed sturdiness.
- Those looking for variety: If you want many variants of the same model to choose from, this particular model comes in various colors and sizes. You can choose the variant that goes with the interiors and size of your home.
- It has a short warranty period
- It does not come with a mattress
- It requires more space with lots of wall space.
2. Signature Sleep Queen Murphy Wall Bed – Best Budget
- The dual Piston metal fold mechanism makes it easy to use the bed.
- Made from industrial-grade laminated MDF and particleboard that is very durable.
- No box spring is required due to wooden mattress support slats.
- Has a weight capacity of 600 lbs.
If you are looking for a Murphy bed that is affordable this is an excellent choice. This budget-friendly Murphy bed is great for small spaces as it is a queen-size bed. It has a very compact and simple design that folds against the wall giving you the floor space you need. The durable metal folding mechanism makes it super easy to fold and unfold the bed.
The wooden support slats eliminate the requirement for a box spring. The bed frame built from sturdy metal prevents the mattress from sagging. This bed is ideal for loft-style apartments or rooms that need extra space. This Murphy bed is made of industrial-grade laminated MDF and particleboard that is very durable and has a walnut woodgrain finish. This affordable option is perfect for dual-function spaces.
- Small spaces: The compact size of this bed makes it ideal for small spaces as it does not take up much space when opened. Its simple design doesn’t make the room look crowded giving it a minimalist look.
- Tight budget: If you are on a budget and are looking for an affordable option this is a great choice as the value for money is incredible. The material used to build this bed is very high quality making it quite durable. It is worth it for the price point.
- Good night’s sleep: If you want an incredible sleep experience this bed can fit a mattress up to 10 inches thick with a weight of 70 lbs giving you the most comfortable sleeping experience. The wooden slats prevent the mattress from sagging and disrupting your sleep.
- It does not have any extra storage units as it is a compact bed made for smaller spaces.
- It is a little heavy which makes it difficult to lift the bed compared to pulling it down.
- MDF and particleboard are less durable than other materials like metal or wood which last longer than MDF and particleboard.
3. Bestar Luminar 59W Murphy Bed – With desk
- Dual piston system to safely fold up the bed or pull it down.
- Made from high-quality laminated particleboard for a long-lasting finish.
- Modern look with LED lights and decorative brushed nickel recessed pulls.
- Can accommodate a full-size mattress and can support 1000 lbs weight.
- Euro slat mattress support system for comfortable sleep.
With a built-in desk, this Murphy bed is great for a multipurpose room. You can convert the room into a home office or a bedroom whenever you like. It is also excellent for people who love reading or working at night as the bed has a built-in LED-light system so you can read in the dark. The bed can accommodate a full-size mattress and has a weight capacity of 1000 lbs. It comes with a 10 Year Manufacturers Warranty, so you know this bed is made of high-quality material and is durable.
The desk is 18 inches long and withstands up to 50 pounds of weight. Setting up the bed is very easy making it convenient to convert it into a workstation within minutes.
- Working professionals or students: This Murphy bed is ideal for anyone who wants a home office but has limited space at home. The sturdy desk can hold up to 50 pounds of weight at once giving you the required space for doing your work. It provides an incredible ambiance for studying with its white exterior, dark brown accents, and LED lights.
- Partners: As the bed has a weight capacity of 1000 lbs it can support two people. You can fit a full-size mattress on the bed frame which gives you a lot of legroom and comfortable sleep.
- Those looking for long-term use: The product is made of the best quality material and comes with a 10 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty. This is proof that the bed is very durable, sturdy, and long-lasting. If you want a bed for a long time, this is a smart choice.
- This bed is not suitable for you if you have children at home as the bed design is not for anyone under 6 years or under 50 pounds.
- Professional help is needed to install the bed and concrete screws needed to install the bed are not provided with the product.
4. Bristol Storage Murphy Bed with Mattress – Best Storage
- Comes with a 6-inch mattress
- Has drawers to stash pillows and bedding when not being used
- smooth lifting mechanism making it easy to set up
- Lots of headroom space and perfect for tall folks.
This Queen Storage Murphy bed is made from great quality solid and manufactured wood. The storage unit has a drawer to store pillows or bedding. It has felt-covered runners and fold-out legs to support the bed when it is open. The most impressive feature is that you don’t have to take out the objects from the top of the cabinets if you want to use the bed. It has a flip top that gives you more headroom. It has special hardware that keeps the headroom upright. It comes with a 6-inch mattress and does not require a box spring. The weight capacity of this bed is 500 lbs.
- People looking for a two-in-one solution: If you are looking for a two-in-one solution where you can sleep and have a storage unit then this murphy bed is an affordable choice. You can easily turn the space from a storage unit into a guest bedroom and make the space super productive.
- People looking for a comfortable and efficient bed: This bed is designed for everyday use to ensure comfort. It comes with a queen-sized mattress so you don’t have to buy one separately. The queen-size foam mattress ensures you catch the required zzzs without any interruptions.
- People looking for great decor: This bed comes with a headboard so it looks like a conventional bed. Its stylish design will suit any place. You have options to choose from various colors so they look great when folded up or down.
- Since it is made of wood it is heavy and sturdy which makes it hard to move around.
- A bit on the pricier side as it comes with extra storage units.
- No option to choose a mattress you like as it already comes with a mattress.
5. Bestar Nebula Queen Murphy Bed with Sofa (78w)
- Comes with a sofa with a hardwood frame and is pre-assembled.
- Sofa suspension is made of 9-gauge sinuous coils.
- All fabrics have heavy-duty backing.
- Dual piston system for ease of opening and folding the bed.
This Murphy bed is designed to make the most of a small space and gives you a place to sit and sleep. All you have to do is remove the cushions and fold out the murphy bed to sleep at night. It has a Euro slat mattress support system known for providing the most comfortable sleep. It can accommodate a queen-size mattress and has a weight capacity of 1000 lbs.
- People looking for added functionality: This sofa murphy bed has other variants that also include a storage unit. This gives you extra space to store your clothes, books, and other items.
- Owners of studio apartments: This Bed has a built-in sofa which transforms your room into a dual-functioning space by making it a sitting room and a bedroom when needed. It saves space and money as you won’t need to invest in a sofa separately.
- People looking for value: This model is heavy and rigid and made of quality laminated particle board compliant with TSCA Title VI. It is reasonably priced compared to other Sofa Murphy Beds thereby offering affordability and versatility for a reasonable amount of money.
- The sofa does not come with a backrest
- It is not suitable for children under the age of 6 years.
- It takes time to assemble and requires professional help.
How Were Murphy Beds Developed?
The Murphy bed named after its mastermind William Murphy was patented in 1911. Back in the 1900s, a housing shortage resulted in smaller houses being constructed. This meant that there was a space crunch. People couldn’t find the required space for a bed in their bedroom. And what’s a bedroom without a bed? You had to be smart enough to maximize the utility of the space. William Murphy came up with the perfect solution: A Murphy Bed! This design placed a full-size mattress on a metal frame that could be hidden during the day. This creative space-saving mechanism made Murphy beds wildly popular in the 1920s.
Pros and Cons of Murphy Beds
Murphy beds could be a great space-saving piece of furniture but there are downsides too. You would not typically find a murphy bed in most homes as there are other options available today. But if you are considering buying it you have to weigh the pros and cons.
Some of the pros are
- Space-Saving feature: We’ve mentioned it earlier and stress again that Murphy beds are exceptional when you want to save space. You can save a ton of floor space when you are not using it. It creates an illusion of a larger room.
- Multifunctional: Murphy beds have evolved to include storage units or can be converted into a sofa or desk when not in use. It ensures that it is utilized for different purposes as well.
- Customizable and comfortable: Murphy beds are just as comfortable as regular beds. You will not be sacrificing comfort to save space. You can also customize the bed by making it an entire unit with cabinets when closed.
- Better than alternatives: A Murphy bed is better than its alternatives as it holds a real mattress, unlike a sofa bed mattress that folds when closed. Murphy beds have thicker mattresses which are much more practical for everyday sleep.
Some of the cons
- Hard to use: Folding the bed after every use becomes a lot of work. It gets tedious if you place another piece of furniture where the bed is when not in use. You will have to rearrange the furniture every time you want to use the bed.
- Associated risks: You need a professional installer to install the Murphy bed. It ensures that you can use the bed safely. The load-taking capacity of the wall and other dimensions of the house needs to be taken into consideration before installing a Murphy bed. They need to be secured once lifted. It is necessary to follow safety measures and instructions to ensure safety.
- Not suitable for Rentals: If you stay in a rental unit and are looking to move after a while, moving a Murphy bed is not easy as the bed is attached to the wall. It requires drilling the walls to install the bed and patching up the holes when you decide to move.
What kind of mattress is most suitable for a fold-down bed?
After you’ve splurged on a great Murphy bed, you need to figure out the best mattress to buy to improve the sleep setup. Each Murphy bed is versatile and differs in measurement and size. Therefore, you need to research the type of Murphy bed you have before buying a mattress for it.
Having a plush mattress is not advisable as the excess cushioning prevents the bed from closing. You can choose a design less than 12 inches tall. The most common issue that Murphy bed users face is the slumping of the mattress when the bed is lifted. That is why you must buy a mattress with long warranties and edge support.
Memory foam mattresses are the gold standard for Murphy beds. The memory foam makeup ensures there is no slumping and bunching of the mattress. A hybrid design made of spring coils and perforated memory foam is also a good option as it encourages airflow offering the most comfortable sleep.
Avoid any gel-topped or latex mattresses as they cannot hold their shape when upright. Pocketed coil mattresses lack the strength to stay upright. They have no structure and tend to slump on Murphy beds. Other mattresses like innerspring and foam core work great on Murphy beds.
Types of Murphy Beds and Their Features
Murphy beds have been around for centuries and have evolved. There are various designs available today with a ton of added features
- Bi-fold Murphy beds: This Murphy bed goes inside a cabinet. The cabinet has sliding doors that open to the side and the bed is placed inside the cabinet when not in use. This design takes up less wall space and can easily support mattresses up to 11 inches.
- Flip-Up Desk Murphy Bed: This bed transforms into a desk and adds an extra layer of functionality to your living space. It may also come with overhead cabinets for extra storage space. This allows you to convert the space into a workplace during the day.
- Murphy bunk beds: This bed design is perfect for kids. It has two beds in a single arrangement and has shelves and a desk to make it multifunctional. It does not need a wall hook-up as it is freestanding.
- Horizontal Murphy beds: The bed frames are side mounted. You can climb the bed only from the side not attached to the wall. It is perfect for spaces with low ceilings.
How to choose a Murphy bed
There are a few things that you must consider before you purchase a Murphy bed. Make sure the Murphy bed meets all your needs by assessing the below parameters.
- Room Layout: Check out the room’s floor plan and dimensions before picking a bed. You need to measure the floor-to-ceiling length as Murphy beds fold vertically. If you have a low ceiling opt for a horizontal folding bed. Make sure the length of the bed is appropriate and fits in the room when opened.
- Material: Murphy beds can be made of various materials like solid wood or metal. Solid wood is the most durable but could be expensive as well. Woods like manufactured wood or particle board are lighter making them easy to lift. Metal murphy beds are the most durable.
- Opening Mechanism: How the bed lifts or opens is crucial to check before buying a Murphy bed. The piston lifting system is an easy way to lift or pull down the bed. It has a locking mechanism to secure the bed when it is not in use. There are other opening mechanisms like spring and manual.
- Weight of the bed: Make sure the weight of the bed can be supported by the wall on which it would be installed. You should also check the weight carrying capacity of the bed too. This ensures that the bed can carry your weight without collapsing.
How much does a Murphy bed cost?
Well, that depends on the features you want in a Murphy bed. A Murphy bed with additional features like a sofa, bookcase, or cabinets will cost more than a regular bed. If you want an affordable and high-quality Murphy bed then you will have to go with a frame that has a simple lift mechanism and doesn’t have all the additional features. The average cost of a decent murphy bed is between $1000 to $3000. There are cheaper ones but are not durable. The prices also depend on the size of the Murphy bed. A traditional twin may cost less than a queen-size bed.
The best frame and material for a murphy bed
- Solid Wood: This gives the bed an attractive look and is available in a range of tones. It is easy to pick the color to match your room. They are strong and more durable. However, they may be heavy and difficult to lift.
- Metal: They are sleeker and more durable than wood. They go well with minimalist bedrooms.
- MDF: MDF is high density with a smooth finish. It is quite durable and lightweight too. It is resistant to water and easier to drill and cut into without causing any damage.
- Mixed Material: This gives you both durability and a stylish appearance. A Murphy bed, made of metal and wood gives you the required sturdiness along with the traditional beauty of wood.
- Particleboard: Particle boards are lightweight and less expensive. They can last up to 25 years. They are, however, less durable and are not very strong.
Best Murphy Beds 2022 FAQs
Do all Murphy beds need to be attached to the wall?
No. Most Murphy beds need to be attached to the wall but some are free-standing and some can be attached to the floor as well.
Can you install a Murphy bed yourself?
Yes, you can. Most Murphy beds can be installed by two people. You will need the proper equipment to mount the bed to the wall. If you are not familiar with the process or don’t know what to do it is better to hire a professional to ensure safety.
Are Murphy beds safe?
Yes, absolutely. If used according to the safety instructions they are perfectly safe. You may avoid letting children play around the Murphy bed or operate them without adult supervision to be on the safe side.
The best Murphy beds are easy to pull up and down every day. It helps you elongate a room and makes it feel grand. The Murphy beds we have reviewed above offer the best features at a great price. Overall, the Crossfell Murphy bed is the best choice as it can meet all your needs without compromising on a good night’s sleep. With its sleek design and high durability, it is an excellent addition to your home. We are confident that any of the above options would be a great investment for your home.
Last update on 2022-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API