There is a famous quote from G M Trevelyan- ‘after a day’s walk, everything has twice its usual value!’. This quote highlights the importance of having daily morning or evening walks for a healthy body and mind. Even if you are not into walking as a part of healthy lifestyle, you might be doing some casual walking outdoors.
For any sort of walking, a pair of good quality walking shoes in essential. Having these shoes as waterproof would be even better. In this post, we will guide you on how to find the best walking shoes for yourself and also give you a few options at the end of the article to make your search easier.
What should you look for in waterproof walking shoes?
Before you can buy waterproof walking shoes, you should pay enough attention to a few features of your walking shoes. These features and options here should prove to be a good buying guide for your needs and expectations.
1. A comfortable fit
Fit and support should be prime factors that you need to focus on when buying a waterproof walking shoe. The shoe and the fit would be dependent on the shape of the foot and the preferences that you may have. A too tight fit can make it as uncomfortable as a too loose fit. Striking the right balance in terms of fit should be what would make it a good choice. A good fit will ensure that you do not have to worry about any injury.
Leather and rubber are the two types of materials that you would want to focus on. It will also provide you with a great degree of breathability to keep your feet highly protected. Yet another material that has gained a lot of momentum is Mesh which is a natural water-resistant option. The best waterproofing material that you would find quite unique can include leather, suede, and synthetic leather. They can be extremely easy to clean and durable.
3. Added protection
The hiking and walking shoes come with a host of advanced features that further make them more safe and more comfortable. The reinforced toecap can be one of the excellent options that you would perhaps find much easy to use. The methods used for the extra grip should also provide you with a further better experience. While added protection may not be the most important factor, it does have a vital role to play.
This should be one of the most essential factors that you need to consider when picking good waterproof walking shoes. The shoes should be capable of handling rough terrain. The outsoles would perhaps be what would make the durability stand out from the rest. PU and carbon rubber have been a few of the prime factors that you would find much important. The abrasion resistant outsole can be one of the prime factors that would decide the durability of the walking shoes.
The walking shoes should provide you access to a better degree of experience. Under most of the conditions, waterproof shoes do not have a massive degree of breathability. The breathability is the must have feature on any waterproof walking soes. However, the lightweight construction, along with a well-ventilated design, will ensure that you will have better breathability. Make sure that you pick shoes that are cool to wear. The high end breathability should be what would make it a truly pleasurable experience. The comfortable feeling on your feet can prove to be effective. That can be a great option to assist you in avoiding an unwanted sweaty feet.
6. Waterproof capability
This is an obvious feature that you would want to focus on a walking shoe. The waterproof functionality of the shoes will ensure that they will help you keep the water out of your feet. The special fabrics used in the shoes should guarantee to help you keep the water out – at least to a certain extent. Make sure that you have access to a waterproof sign before buying the shoes. The waterproofing materials used should be yet another prime factor you would need to focus on. More on that later.
Best Waterproof Walking Shoes
Having checked out what to look for in your choice of the best waterproof walking shoes, we will list out the best waterproof walking shoes that you would want to focus on.
1. Mountain Warehouse Path Waterproof walking shoes
The Mountain Warehouse Path Waterproof walking shoes are available for both men and women, and you can pick the one based on your individual preferences. They have been known to be a perfect choice if you are on the look out for shoes on a tight budget. The shoes have been known to provide you access to a great degree of experience.
- Comfortable and decent walking shoes
- A good choice for the summer season
- Fully waterproof soles, but uppers may not take the onslaught of a heavy rain
- They can also be a good option for the slippery rocks
- Breathability is one of the most decisive factors
2. Chaco Odyssey sandal
The Chaco Odyssey sandal is once again available for both men and women. They have been known to be the best choices for an aquatic adventure. It should be an outstanding balance between the shoes and sandals. The tough rubber and a wider sole are the two features that we loved the most on the waterproof walking shoes. The grip provided by the shoes should further make it a unique option in multiple ways
- A powerful crisscross wrap
- A snug and stay fit makes it a comfortable option
- The shoes ensure that your toes are well protected
- The breathability is designed to keep your feet cooler
- Best suited for rock pooling and summer adventures
3. DKSUKO Chelsea Boots for Women
The DKSUKO Chelsea Boots for Women should be one of the excellent options for the best Amazon rain boots for women. The versatile, cute, and comfortable design are a few of the parameters that would make them stand apart. They have been considered the best waterproof walking shoes for the European region.
- Stylish nature and comfortable fit.
- It is quite an inexpensive walking shoe that you can go with
- Elastic and sealed rubber construction
- The dirt-resistant functionality
- Comfortable options
4. TENGTA Unisex Waterproof Garden Shoes
These are the Unisex waterproof garden shoes that you would find quite impressive. They can be a perfect option for enjoying a weatherproof design. An easy grip and perfect slip on design can be something that you would find much more interesting. The inexpensive pricing can further make it a unique choice.
- Comfortable memory foam insoles
- The interior stays dry.
- Built-in support for long distance
- Can work efficiently through rain, mud, and light slush
5. Columbia Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Shoe
The shoe is made of waterproof leather, and you will find it provides you with a tremendous waterproof design. The outsole comes with excellent traction. The shoes will keep your feet dry when hiking. You would also have a wide range of color options to make it all the more interesting.
- Extremely comfortable to wear
- A powerful breathable design
- Multi-layered construction
- Authentic metal hardware
- Enhanced impact adsorption
6. Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots
The Merrell Moab 2 mid waterproof hiking boot comes with a waterproof membrane and helps keep the water out more effectively. The bellows tongue keeps the dirt and rocks away from getting inside the shoes. The removable contoured insides should be yet another excellent option.
- The shoes have been the best for the hikers
- High-end comfort levels
- The best quality durability
- Extremely powerful and durable leather
- Targeted heel cushioning experience.
7. Timberland White Ledge Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots
The shoes are built with shock-absorbing cushioning, and the best outsoles would make them a perfect option. The traction offered for hiking can prove to be yet another unique choice. If you are looking for a powerful experience during the fall season. The shoes are made available in a variety of colors,
- It comes with the waterproof leather construction
- The sealed seams would help you keep the water out and the soles dry
- They will keep you safe in every condition
- The super comfortable construction
- The rustproof speed lace hardware with hooks at the top for secure lacing.
8. ON Cloud 5 Waterproof Shoe
The comfortable fit, versatile design, and excellent degree of waterproofing are what would make the shoes stand out from the rest in terms of a powerful experience. The waterproof membrane on the shoes should definitely make it out of water. The mesh upper is exceptionally breathable, and you stand to gain access to a great experience with the durable rubber outside.
- A very comfortable fit
- The shoes are made of recyclable materials
- Hands-free lacing experience.
- The shoes are best for runs, on sunny and rainy days alike.
9. Saucony Peregrine 12 Trail Waterproof Running Shoe
The Saucony Peregrine 12 Trail Running Shoe should be yet another excellent option for the best waterproof walking shoes that you would find all the more unique and impressive. They provide you access to a stiffer construction, and you would find it providing you with a very high degree of performance excellence.
- A vast range of color options
- Good traction that you would find much impressive
- A wide toe box provides you good protection to your toes
- Superior construction
- A lightweight feel
10. Columbia Vitesse Fasttrack Waterproof Hiking Shoe
The Columbia Vitesse Fasttrack Waterproof Hiking Shoe provides you with a high-quality waterproof construction at its best. The sneakers can be quite expensive. The built-to-last construction can prove to be one of the prime options. The waterproof design and seam sealed membrane create a sound barrier.
- An extremely breathable design
- Great traction offered
- A highly durable design.
- An exceptional fit and support
11. Hoka One One Challenger ATR 6 GTX Trail-Running Shoes
The best-cushioned construction can be what would make it one of the most unique options in providing you with a robust waterproof experience. One of the best options that you would find interesting can include the construction with recycled materials. A breathable design at its best would invariably make it a great option.
- The powerful and ample cushioning
- The sturdy midsole and rugged outsole
- The hybrid design, along with a great traction
- A robust balance and protection against the blisters
- A slightly expensive option though
12. Asics Women’s Gel-Cumulus 23 Waterproof Running Shoe
Yet another powerful choice for the well-cushioned design, the Asics Women’s Gel-Cumulus 23 Running Shoe should be your prime bet for the best waterproof walking shoes for women. It would also double up as a good choice for one of the nicest shock absorptions. The shoes are made with recycled materials making them all the more interesting
- A grippy outsole construction
- The reflective elements at their best
- Engineered with the mesh upper at its best
- The best visibility in low-light conditions
- FLYTEFOAM Technology
13. Merrell Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoes
If you are a hiker, you will find the Merrell Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoes to be one of the most interesting options that you would find more rewarding. They are definitely designed for every kind of weather. They will keep your feet quite dry.
- The shoes are made of suede and mesh upper
- The shoes let the moisture out so that your feet do not get overheated
- The slip-resistant outsoles
- A significant degree of traction
- Great durability and grip
14. ECCO Golf S-Three Gore-Tex Waterproof Golf Shoes
The ECCO Golf S-Three Gore-Tex Golf Shoes should be yet another unique option for the best waterproof walking shoes that you would find all the more interesting. The sleeker and more athletic design should be yet another fantastic option that you would find all the more unique.
- Great support
- A significant degree of traction
- The shoes come with a waterproof leather
- A good balance of functionality, comfort, and style
- A breathable design
15. Salomon SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX Women’s Waterproof Trail Running Shoes
The Salomon SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX Women’s Trail Running Shoes should be the next best option that you would find quite unique among the best waterproof walking shoes. If you are a trail runner, you will find them one of the excellent choices for all your expectations. The plenty of traction and ability to work with the best slick surfaces is what would make it stand apart from the rest.
- A tremendous solid arch support
- It can be a great option for the flat feet
- The robust Gore Tex waterproofing
- The best amount of shockproofing
- High-quality materials
16. Teva Women’s Arrowood 2 Waterproof Shoes
The Teva Women’s Arrowood 2 Waterproof Shoes is one of the excellent options for enjoying one of the powerful waterproof walking shoes. If you are trying to find the best athletic shoes, you will find them the right ones to go with. The lightweight construction is one of the most substantial factors in their favor.
- Lightweight construction and easy to carry around
- Suitable for comfort and a better support
- High-quality materials used
- A great grip
17. Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
The Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot is the high-end choice for the best waterproof shoes for women. They have been regarded as super comfortable and completely waterproof shoes that you can opt for.
- They can keep you dry in any sort of weather
- It should be a good option for the longer treks.
- Best in class air cushion for a better stability
- A powerful traction
18. Columbia Vitesse Fasttrack Waterproof Hiking Shoe
Next on our list of the best waterproof walking shoes is Columbia Vitesse Fasttrack Waterproof Hiking Shoes. If you are on a budget and looking for the best walking shoes that would meet your high-end requirements, these should be a great option ever.
- They are built to last
- They can be one of the prime choices for waterproof and seam sealed sneakers
- Lightweight and responsive
- Available in wide sizes
19. Asics Women’s Gel-Cumulus 23 Waterproof Running Shoe
If you are looking for excellent options for the best well-cushioned waterproof shoes, the Asics Women’s Gel-Cumulus 23 Running Shoes will suit your bill rightly. You can be assured of keeping your feet warm and dry in any weather condition. It is quite flexible in more ways than one.
- An excellent reflective elements option
- A great shock absorption
- Created with recycled materials
- An excellent springy support
20. Keen Targhee Vent Waterproof Hiking Shoes
The Keen Targhee Vent Hiking Shoes should be yet another unique option that you would find it a truly powerful option. This has been a rugged shoe that you would find the right ones for light to moderate walks. The stability and traction that you stand to gain with the shoes are what would further enhance your experience.
- A high-end stability
- Best in class cushioning and upper support
- Low-profile design for an effortless mobility
- All-terrain shoe.
- A smoother interior
Waterproof vs water-resistant vs Water-repellent
Now that you have decided to opt for the best waterproof shoes, it would be ideal to check out the differences between the different waterproof and water-resistant constructions.
Let us check out the differences between the three different categories of waterproofing.
|General Features||A tight fabric that comes with a woven design||Fabric is treated with durable water-repellent (DWR) or hydrophobic chemicals||Treated with DWR, has waterproofing, uses membranes like Gore-Tex and OutDry, come with seam-sealed construction for extra protection|
|Suitable weather conditions||Light rain and dry snow||Light rain and average snow||Moderate to heavy rain and average to wet snow|
|Water pressure resistance||0-5000 mm (no pressure or moisture)||6000-10000 mm (light pressure)||10000-20000 mm (high to very high pressure)|
|Water protection level||Low||Moderate||high|
How to Clean Waterproof Walking Shoes
There are several options that you would find quite impressive in how to clean waterproof walking shoes. You would ideally need to follow the tips that are shared by the manufacturers before you can clean your shoes.
Check out the following tips and options for cleaning waterproof walking shoes –
- Remove the insole when cleaning the waterproof shoes. Most of the shoes come with an option to remove the insole
- Wash the exteriors of your shoes with lukewarm water. It is also advisable to use a brush and cloth
- Shaking out the dirt, rocks, debris, and such solid dirt before cleaning it further.
- After washing the shoes, let the shoes dry naturally
- If the shoes get wet from the inside, you can use convection-style boot dryers.
- Do not use spray coatings on your hiking shoes. This can help make your shoes less breathable
Best Waterproofing Materials for Walking Shoes
The waterproofing materials used for the walking shoes would generally be a deciding factor in arriving at the best options for the purpose. Let us explore a few of the waterproofing materials that you would find all the more unique.
The Gore-Tex is one of the excellent options or the most popular waterproofing options. They are what you would find almost everywhere and in every waterproof walking shoes. The material has been in use since the 1960s and has been used as the best waterproofing material ever.
The Gore Tex comes with high-end protection against dust and dirt. It also comes with good quality in being the best breathable and assists you in preventing moisture. Right from sports hikers to ski enthusiasts, the material has been proved to be quite unique in its own right. It has been known to be a great option to help you keep the shoes dry. It meets almost all weather conditions.
2. Waterproof Synthetic Leather
Synthetic leather with waterproof capabilities is yet another great option that you would find all the more unique. The waterproof ability of the leather is definitely something that you would find quite powerful.
Synthetic leather does come with the look of natural leather. The high-end durability offered by the material can be what would make it stand apart from the rest. Efficient water resistance and a realistic feel are a few of the best options that you would find quite interesting. While artificial leather was used before the advent of synthetic leather, it was of lower quality and did not look good as synthetic leather.
Synthetic leather is used in traditional walking shoes. It can be helpful in protecting your feet from the water.
3. PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
PVC is referred to as PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride). The material has been used for manufacturing a wide range of products that include vinyl records and vinyl fabric. PVC has been used for creating soles and waterproof shoes. It has also been one of the excellent means of making sandals or even high heels.
They might be quite old when compared to the present generation of waterproofing materials, but they have been one of the best options. They are quite flexible and suitable for ensuring better traction in outdoor settings.
A few other honorable mentions for the waterproofing materials on waterproof walking shoes –
- Laminated cotton – Laminated cotton is one of the most unique materials and is quite popular today. It can be used for better waterproofing through a thin layer of cotton. The laminated cotton is entirely natural, and it has also been more environmentally friendly.
- PUL (Polyurethane Laminate) – The PUL (Polyurethane Laminate) is one of the excellent options for a strong waterproofing capability. It is a combination of polyester fabric with a thin water-repellent coating. The water-resistant properties of the material have been quite effective and efficient. The ventilation and comfort levels offered by the PUL is much unique in their own right
- TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) – The TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) comes with a more tougher construction than the PUL. Moreover, it has also been regarded s more environment friendly. It has been shown to provide a better level of comfort.
- Polyester Fleece – This is yet another material used for waterproofing, but the thickness should be in tune with the requirements. You would also find it has a waterproofing coating.
- Wool – Wool is yet another waterproofing material that has been known to come with great water resistance. The wool shoes that have become popular can be a good example in favor of their capability. It is complemented by a new lanolin coating.
- Nylon and Polyester – When nylon and polyester are combined, you will get access to an extraordinary level of water resistance. The exceptional water resistance that it provides should further make it all the more effective. It does provide you a powerful protection against from rain, water, and mud.
- Oilcloth – It is a combination of cold boiled oil with linen that provides you access to powerful water resistance. It can be quite easy to clean up and does not need a lot of maintenance.
How to make sneakers waterproof?
If you already have a pair of sneakers and shoes and want to turn them waterproof through some means and to some extent, you can opt for a few techniques that can be handy enough. One of the best options in this context would be to spray it with a silicone or acrylic spray. Make sure that the spray that you have chosen is made for and compatible with the shoes that you want to treat them with.
Ensure that you have cleaned the shoes properly and let them dry. Drying the shoes naturally is highly recommended. Then apply the waterproofing spray from 10 inches away from the shoes. You can spray it quite liberally. Then let the shoes dry overnight and repeat the process once every two to three months.
How to take care of waterproof shoes?
There are several aspects that would cover the proper upkeep and functionality of your waterproof walking shoes. A few of the factors that you would need to focus on how to clean the shoes and then maintain them properly.
Once you have come back from damp weather, it is quite essential to clean your shoes. The first thing to do would be to bang the two shoes together. This will help you dislodge and remove dust and other debris. Then handwash your shoes using a soft sponge. Use normal water and a neutral soap for the purpose. You can even use a small brush to clean the stitches and lace holes.
Once the shoes have been cleaned, the next step would be to dry them properly. Even when you have not cleaned your shoes, it is most likely that the sweat and water might have created the shoes to collect water. Drying your shoes should be a critical prerequisite in achieving a better performance. You can also remove the insoles and dry them separately. It is recommended to dry them at room temperature. The natural drying will ensure that the shoes are not damaged.
It may be necessary to reinforce or revive the waterproofing properties to ensure a better degree of durability. You can make use of a good waterproofing spray for the purpose. We would advise using the spray at least twice per year. When applying the spray, make sure that you have applied the spray from at least 20 cm away. Allow the spray to dry naturally for 10 to 12 hours.
4. Proper storage
One of the essential ways that you can take care of your waterproof walking shoes would be to store them in the right way. It is always advised to keep your shoes dry. Store them in a very dry and well-ventilated place. Avoiding exposure to direct sunlight is recommended. We would also recommend storing them in a case to help you prevent the damage that may be caused.
Why should you choose waterproof walking shoes?
Why do you really need to choose waterproof walking shoes? Are there any specific reasons that you would want to focus on when opting for waterproof walking shoes? Let us explore the prime reasons on why you should choose a waterproof walking shoe for most of your practical purposes.
One of the primary reasons why you would need to go with waterproof walking shoes is that you want your feet to be dry. If you are someone who is indulging in a lot of hiking and trekking, the breathability and comfortability offered by the waterproof walking shoes should be one of the most prime options that you would find all the more unique and exciting. The waterproof shoes will ensure that you are able to deal with a variety of weather conditions.
A few reasons for why you should choose waterproof walking shoes can include
They assure you a high degree of guaranteed dryness
The waterproof walking shoes ensure that your feet do not get wet at all. The distinctive texture offered by the shoes should indeed make them stand apart from the rest. You would be able to enjoy a great deal of options in terms of effective water resistance. The waterproof materials such as Gore Tex should be what would make it a truly powerful choice.
They help you avoid blistering diseases.
Wet shoes can create the issues such as blisters on your feet. It can prevent you from working efficiently. The blisters are generally caused when your feet get soft and rub against the skin of your shoes. The waterproof walking shoes prevent blisters because of the membrane that protects you.
The waterproof shoes help you maintain the temperature balance on your feet. Your feet will neither get too hot nor will they get too cold. You may end up being uncomfortable in running in such a state.
How long do Walking shoes last?
Under ideal conditions, walking shoes can last for up to 350 to 500 hours. After that period, the cushioning, support, and shock absorbing nature is likely to be worn out. This period should ideally be between 6 to 8 months.
If you are a walker, you are less likely to pound your feet on the ground, and you may be able to get a life past 500 hours. The lifespan of waterproof walking shoes will also have a bearing on your weight. If you weigh more, the shoes are likely to wear out faster.
You can follow a few typical guidelines as here below –
- If you walk for 30 minutes per day or at an average of three to four hours a week – you should replace your shoes once every six months.
- In case you are walking 60 minutes per day or at an average of six hours per week – you will need to replace your shoes once every three months.
Even when the shoes may appear to be in good condition, they would not be able to provide you with a similar service quality past the limit of 500 hours in most of cases.
The Concluding Thoughts
If you belong to the genre of people who tend to love the outside life more and are into walking, hiking, and other such activities, you would definitely be looking forward to the best waterproof walking shoes. The list of the best options that you would find here should prove to be much more effective in providing you with one of the excellent experiences.
Check out the best waterproof walking shoes outlined here and enjoy your life under the rocks like never before. Even otherwise, even when you are not into the outside life, you will benefit much from the excellent experience of wearing waterproof walking shoes and enjoying a comfortable life.
Waterproof Walking Shoes FAQs
What is GORE-TEX?
GORE Tex is a popular membrane that is made of multiple – in fact, millions of tiny holes. It makes the moisture to pass through in the form of vapor, but not as liquid molecules. Thus it is helpful in making sweat and heat escape from the material. This keeps your feet dry, and water never enters inside.
What is the difference between waterproof and water resistant?
The water-resistant material is the one that repels the water temporarily. This can be a good option if you are looking for shoes used in activities that would get you slightly wet. The waterproof shoes, on the other hand, do not let any water enter your shoes and reach your feet. They can be helpful in keeping your feet dry for a prolonged time, even several hours in wet conditions. In case you are into hiking and indulging in watery areas, make sure that you wear waterproof shoes.
What is good waterproof material for shoes?
As of now, there are several waterproofing materials that can prove to be quite effective in providing you with a better waterproofing capability.
Some of the best options that can prove to be much more effective can include
- Nylon and Polyester
Of these, the Gore-Tex has been one of the most popular options that has proved to be much effective.
What is the best waterproof walking shoe?
The waterproof shoes can provide you with a better performance. It is always advisable to go with shoes with a non-slip rubber outsole, synthetic mesh upper lining, comfortable cushioning, ideal grip, and air circulation. Look for these specific qualities in your choice of shoes and go with the right one that meets at least a few of the above parameters.
Can you wear waterproof sneakers in the snow?
The waterproof sneakers provide a barrier between your feet and ice. It can double up as a great option if you have to walk in the snow. Waterproof shoes can be a great option to help you protect your feet from the extremities. It can also be helpful in protecting you from frostbites and chilblains.
How do I care for waterproof shoes?
To keep your waterproof shoes intact, it is important to rinse them lightly quite often. If you need to clean them really heavily, make sure that you have used the cleaning materials that are approved by the manufacturer. Make sure that you remove the laces before cleaning them
Last update on 2022-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API